The CW today gave early renewals to its three strongest scripted series: flagship The Vampire Diaries, veteran Supernatural and 90210. The Vampire Diaries will return for its its fourth season, 90210 for its fifth and Supernatural for its eighth. There are no surprises in the pickups as all three had been certain to return. Of the network’s bubble shows — Gossip Girl, Nikita, The Secret Circle, Ringer and Hart Of Dixie — the bets are on Gossip Girl, Hart Of Dixie and possibly Nikita coming back. Gossip Girl is a big DVR gainer and has been a signature show for the CW that could go well together with Carrie Diaries, Hart Of Dixie has been very strong in online viewing, and Nikita is a big international seller for the CW’s sister studio Warner Bros TV. Further complicating things for Ringer, which already had little chance of continuing with its low ratings and dense-bordering-on-confusing storylines, is the fact that star Sarah Michelle Gellar, who plays two roles on the show, is pregnant. (Unless both twin sisters fell pregnant at the same time.) Word is the CW will also pick up as many as 5-6 new series, with Arrow, The Carrie Diaries, Beauty & The Beast, First Cut, Cult and the Hunger Games-esque The Selection considered frontrunners. The network is said to be looking to have a lot more originals on the air throughout a season next season.
CW Renews 'Vampire Diaries', 'Supernatural' & '90210'; Are 'Girl', ' Dixie' & 'Nikita' Next?
What's Hot on Deadline
Oprah Winfrey Answers Call & Joins Clooneys, Katzenbergs, Spielberg And Capshaw In Donating $500,000 To March For Our Lives: Who's Next?
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: At $241.96M Superhero Owns 2nd Best 4-Day Opening & Defeats 'Last Jedi' - Update
Latest TV News
- ‘The End Of The World As We Know It’: Gage Golightly To Star In the CW Pilot
- ‘Playing Dead’: Tyler Ritter To Star In the CW Drama Pilot
- World Cup 2018: Fox To Air Record 38 Matches Live On Broadcast Network – Full TV Schedule
- ‘God Friended Me’: ‘Scandal’s Joe Morton To Co-Star In CBS Drama Pilot
- ‘So Close’: Sabrina Carpenter Cast In Greg Malins’ NBC Comedy Pilot
- Imagine Entertainment Takes Controlling Interest In Comedy Series Producer Jax Media