The CW today gave early renewals to its three strongest scripted series: flagship The Vampire Diaries, veteran Supernatural and 90210. The Vampire Diaries will return for its its fourth season, 90210 for its fifth and Supernatural for its eighth. There are no surprises in the pickups as all three had been certain to return. Of the network’s bubble shows — Gossip Girl, Nikita, The Secret Circle, Ringer and Hart Of Dixie — the bets are on Gossip Girl, Hart Of Dixie and possibly Nikita coming back. Gossip Girl is a big DVR gainer and has been a signature show for the CW that could go well together with Carrie Diaries, Hart Of Dixie has been very strong in online viewing, and Nikita is a big international seller for the CW’s sister studio Warner Bros TV. Further complicating things for Ringer, which already had little chance of continuing with its low ratings and dense-bordering-on-confusing storylines, is the fact that star Sarah Michelle Gellar, who plays two roles on the show, is pregnant. (Unless both twin sisters fell pregnant at the same time.) Word is the CW will also pick up as many as 5-6 new series, with Arrow, The Carrie Diaries, Beauty & The Beast, First Cut, Cult and the Hunger Games-esque The Selection considered frontrunners. The network is said to be looking to have a lot more originals on the air throughout a season next season.
CW Renews 'Vampire Diaries', 'Supernatural' & '90210'; Are 'Girl', ' Dixie' & 'Nikita' Next?
What's Hot on Deadline
'Justice League' Lassos $185.5M Overseas, $281.5M WW; 'Thor' Rocks To $738M Global - International Box Office
'Justice League' Encounters Kryptonite At The B.O. With $96M Opening: Why The DC Movie Weakened - Sunday AM Update
'Sunday Night Football' Ratings Surge As Eagles Claw Cowboys; Trump Says NFL Should "Suspend" Marshawn Lynch
Latest TV News
- Camera Operator Mark Milsome Dies Filming Stunt On BBC/Netflix Drama; Production Shut Down – Update
- Comcast Brings ‘Voice’ Voting To X1 Remotes In Interactive TV Viewing First
- ‘SpongeBob SquarePants’ Creator Among Juried Annie Award Winners
- Ovation Rolls Out The Red Carpet For Duo Of International Fashion Titles
- UK Talent Agency Troika & Management Firm James Grant Group To Merge
- New Yorker Cover Revisits Sexual Harassment At Thanksgiving Day Parade