George Lindsey, the Alabama native who played Goober on The Andy Griffith Show, Mayberry RFD and Hee Haw, died early this morning in Nashville after a brief illness. He was 83. Goober was the cousin of the character Gomer Pyle played by Jim Nabors. Griffith issued a statement: “George Lindsey was my friend … Our last conversation was a few days ago … I am happy to say that as we found ourselves in our eighties, we were not afraid to say `I love you.’ That was the last thing George and I had to say to each other. `I love you’.” Best known as Goober, Lindsey had a long TV career that included roles in Gunsmoke, MASH, The Wonderful World of Disney, CHIPs, The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour, The Real McCoys, The Rifleman, The Alfred Hitchcock Hour and The Twilight Zone. Movie roles included Cannonball Run II, Take This Job and Shove It and voicing characters in Disney animated features The Aristocats, The Rescuers and Robin Hood.
R.I.P. George Lindsey
What's Hot on Deadline
'Avengers: Infinity War' Already The Best-Selling Superhero Movie In Advance Ticket Sales, Beating 'Black Panther'
California Pol To Wolf Blitzer: Donald Trump "Spinning Out Of Control", Serious Security Threat, Has To Go
Latest TV News
- ‘Scandal’ Wraps Production Of Series Finale In A Blaze Of Social-Media Glory
- NCAA Nabs Friday’s Top Spot, ‘MasterChef Junior’ Strong, ‘Taken’ Grabs Season High Crowd
- How Barbra Streisand Avoided #MeToo Moments In Her Career: ‘I Worked With Great Men’ – PaleyFest
- ‘Real Time’: Billy Bush Says Life Was “Chaos” After Trump Grabbing Scandal
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions Fires FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe
- Trump’s Lawyer Sues Stormy Daniels For $20M In Advance Of ’60 Minutes’ Interview