NBC has given one last-minute comedy series order to the Dane Cook starrer Next Caller, which I hear is being picked up for six episodes. The project, from writer Stephen Falk, Lionsgate and Universal TV, is a single-camera gender comedy focusing on a brash alpha male DJ (Cook) and his new, plucky, feminist co-host (Collette Wolfe) set in the offices of a satellite radio station. There had been talk that NBC liked the premise but was considering redeveloping it. That is still a possibility given that fact that the order is for 6 episodes, likely for midseason. As Next Caller got a nod, I hear the last remaining NBC comedy pilots have now gotten a pass. That includes the multi-camera Kari Lizer project starring Minnie Driver and Andrea Anders and Daddy’s Girls starring Scott Bakula, which may be shopped elsewhere. With the Next Caller pickup, NBC’s tally is seven new comedy series for next season — six single-camera and one multi-, the Jimmy Fallon-produced Guys With Kids.
NBC Picks Up 'Next Caller' To Series
What's Hot on Deadline
Veterans 'Elementary', '2 Broke Girls', 'Criminal Minds' & 'Amazing Race' Among Series Left In Limbo After CBS Renewals
CBS Renews 5 Freshman & 11 Returning Series, Including 'MacGyver', 'Superior Donuts', 'Life In Pieces' & 'Hawaii Five-0'
Latest TV News
- AMPTP To Stuntwomen: If You See Something, Say Something
- WGA Contract Talks Coming Down To Wire
- Amazon Near Pickups Of Comedy Pilots From Michael Patrick King, George Saunders & Diarra Kilpatrick
- ‘Being Mary Jane’ Casts Raney Branch; Falk Hentschel Joins ‘The Alienist’
- Justice Department Settles Suit Over DirecTV’s Effort To Keep Dodgers Games Dark – Update
- Final Member Of Movie & Music Counterfeiting Ring Sentenced To Prison