NBC has given one last-minute comedy series order to the Dane Cook starrer Next Caller, which I hear is being picked up for six episodes. The project, from writer Stephen Falk, Lionsgate and Universal TV, is a single-camera gender comedy focusing on a brash alpha male DJ (Cook) and his new, plucky, feminist co-host (Collette Wolfe) set in the offices of a satellite radio station. There had been talk that NBC liked the premise but was considering redeveloping it. That is still a possibility given that fact that the order is for 6 episodes, likely for midseason. As Next Caller got a nod, I hear the last remaining NBC comedy pilots have now gotten a pass. That includes the multi-camera Kari Lizer project starring Minnie Driver and Andrea Anders and Daddy’s Girls starring Scott Bakula, which may be shopped elsewhere. With the Next Caller pickup, NBC’s tally is seven new comedy series for next season — six single-camera and one multi-, the Jimmy Fallon-produced Guys With Kids.
NBC Picks Up 'Next Caller' To Series
What's Hot on Deadline
Uma Thurman To Harvey Weinstein: "I'm Glad It's Going Slowly, You Don't Deserve A Bullet... Stay Tuned"
Latest TV News
- CBS and Dish Reach Carriage Agreement
- ‘Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return’ Renewed For Season 2 On Netflix
- Seth Meyers Confirmed For Golden Globes Hosting Gig
- ‘Charlie Brown Thanksgiving’ Special Ratings Top Feast of Holiday Eve Offerings
- ‘The Four: Battle For Stardom’: Fox Promos Disruptive Singing Competition
- ‘Entourage’ Extra Alleges Jeremy Piven Sexually Assaulted Her In 2009 – Report