This was a weird quarter for the independent studio. The good news? Revenues of $645.2M were up 71% vs. the quarter last year that ended in March, largely due to the box office bonanza from The Hunger Games‘ first eight days of receipts in North America. The bad news? Lionsgate ended up with a net loss of $22.7M, down from a $48.7M profit, as it dealt with $51M in costs related to its acquisition of Summit — consisting of $12M in transaction and severance costs, $26M in purchase accounting costs, and $13M in stock appreciation rights due to the increase in its stock price. Wall Street is disappointed; Lionsgate shares are down 6.3% in after-market trading. The revenue figure was well ahead of analysts’ $622.7M consensus forecast. But the net loss of 17 cents a share contrasts with expectations for a 25 cent profit. CEO Jon Feltheimer remains upbeat: “With substantially all of the profitability of the first Hunger Games film and this November’s release of The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn — Part 2 still alead of us, we have great visibility and have set the stage for anticipating strong EBITDA, free cash flow, and earnings in the years ahead.”
Lionsgate Reports Fiscal Q4 Loss Due To Summit Acquisition Costs
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Good Place's Jameela Jamil Blames Porn And Music Videos For Consent Issues Following Aziz Ansari Allegations
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Arnold Schwarzenegger "Shocked" About Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Allegations, Calls Her "So Courageous"
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Latest Film News
- Gigi Pritzker & Clint Kisker’s MWM Invests In Ben Proudfoot’s Breakwater Studios
- Deadline’s New Hollywood Podcast: ‘The Greatest Showman’ Breakout Keala Settle Finds Inspiration In Anthemic ‘This Is Me…
- HBO Documentary Films Acquires ‘The Price Of Everything’ Ahead Of Sundance Premiere
- ‘On Her Shoulders’: Alexandria Bombach’s Sundance Docu Reveals Price Of Becoming Voice Of A People
- USC Scripter Awards Nominations: Ties Make For Loaded Flim & TV Field
- '70s Screen Icon Pam Grier Speaks On Sex Harassment & Her Biopic With Jay Pharoah Playing Richard Pryor