EXCLUSIVE: Universal Pictures is in talks to make Kick-Ass 2, with Jeff Wadlow directing his script. I’m told the intention is to get the film in production by August. Discussions are just getting underway with such original castmembers as Aaron Johnson, Chloe Moretz and Christopher Mintz-Plasse, and they will have to be signed to new deals to reprise their roles. The raucous 2010 film was directed by Matthew Vaughn; it was made for $28 million and grossed $48.1 million domestic and $103 million worldwide. The original was released by Lionsgate but became a free ball controlled by Vaughn. He can’t direct the sequel because of his commitments to his X-Men: First Class follow-up, but he is backing it and is fully supportive of handing over the reins. Wadlow, who wrote and directed 2005’s Cry Wolf, wrote the Kick-Ass 2 script for Vaughn, and it has already come before Universal’s green-light committee. I expect a deal to be closed shortly. Wadlow is repped by WME.
Universal Talks 'Kick-Ass 2' To Build Franchise; Jeff Wadlow Eyed To Direct
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Holy Macau…Casino Short Film Lineup: Scorsese, De Niro, DiCaprio, Pitt
- Venice Spotlight: Ami Canaan Mann On 'Jackie & Ryan'
- Not So Fast On 'Hey Ho, Let's Go'
- 'Sons Of Anarchy's Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie's Choice For King Arthur
- Dark Day For Civility In Trade Journalism
- Steve Carell Reunites With Julianne Moore In 'Freeheld'