EXCLUSIVE: Universal Pictures is in talks to make Kick-Ass 2, with Jeff Wadlow directing his script. I’m told the intention is to get the film in production by August. Discussions are just getting underway with such original castmembers as Aaron Johnson, Chloe Moretz and Christopher Mintz-Plasse, and they will have to be signed to new deals to reprise their roles. The raucous 2010 film was directed by Matthew Vaughn; it was made for $28 million and grossed $48.1 million domestic and $103 million worldwide. The original was released by Lionsgate but became a free ball controlled by Vaughn. He can’t direct the sequel because of his commitments to his X-Men: First Class follow-up, but he is backing it and is fully supportive of handing over the reins. Wadlow, who wrote and directed 2005’s Cry Wolf, wrote the Kick-Ass 2 script for Vaughn, and it has already come before Universal’s green-light committee. I expect a deal to be closed shortly. Wadlow is repped by WME.
Universal Talks 'Kick-Ass 2' To Build Franchise; Jeff Wadlow Eyed To Direct
What's Hot on Deadline
DGA Awards: Alejandro G. Iñárritu Wins Feature Film Award For 'The Revenant'; HBO Cleans Up With Wins For 'Game Of Thrones', 'Veep' & 'Bessie' - Full List
'Kung Fu Panda 3' Does Touchdown Dance With $21M As Super Bowl Weekend Slaughters 'Zombies', 'Choice': Sunday B.O.
DGA Awards: Inarritu's Big Win Gives Momentum To 'Revenant' But Keeps Best Picture Race In The Undecided Column
'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Reaches Unprecedented Height At Domestic B.O. With $900M, $2B Worldwide
'Revenant', 'Martian' Land New Global Milestones; 'Kung Fu Panda 3' Tops $100M In China - Intl Box Office
Latest Film News
- Ray Colcord Dies: Emmy-Nominated Television Composer Was 66
- ‘Revenant’, ‘Martian’ Land New Global Milestones; ‘Kung Fu Panda 3’ Tops $100M In China – Intl…
- Newcomers ‘Regression’, ‘Southbound’ Open Slow Against Oscar Contenders – Specialty Box Office
- ‘Kung Fu Panda 3’ Does Touchdown Dance With $21M As Super Bowl Weekend Slaughters ‘Zombies’, ‘Choice’…
- Cannes Film Fest Chief Thierry Frémaux Quells Exit Chatter, But Confirms Offer
- DGA Awards: Inarritu’s Big Win Gives Momentum To ‘Revenant’ But Keeps Best Picture Race In The…