EXCLUSIVE: Universal Pictures is in talks to make Kick-Ass 2, with Jeff Wadlow directing his script. I’m told the intention is to get the film in production by August. Discussions are just getting underway with such original castmembers as Aaron Johnson, Chloe Moretz and Christopher Mintz-Plasse, and they will have to be signed to new deals to reprise their roles. The raucous 2010 film was directed by Matthew Vaughn; it was made for $28 million and grossed $48.1 million domestic and $103 million worldwide. The original was released by Lionsgate but became a free ball controlled by Vaughn. He can’t direct the sequel because of his commitments to his X-Men: First Class follow-up, but he is backing it and is fully supportive of handing over the reins. Wadlow, who wrote and directed 2005′s Cry Wolf, wrote the Kick-Ass 2 script for Vaughn, and it has already come before Universal’s green-light committee. I expect a deal to be closed shortly. Wadlow is repped by WME.
Universal Talks 'Kick-Ass 2' To Build Franchise; Jeff Wadlow Eyed To Direct
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Fleming Jr
- Josh Boone Says Warner Bros Will Turn Stephen King's 'The Stand' Into Four Films
- Chris Pratt Circles 'Cowboy Ninja Viking'
- EuropaCorp Seeing Red; Bolsters Film Slate, Ups Lisa Ellzey To Film Prexy
- 'Doctor Who's Matt Smith In 'Patient Zero'
- Penelope Cruz Catwalks To 'Zoolander 2;' Will 'Dumber To' Empower Silly Sequels?
- Benedict Cumberbatch Time's Cover Boy