Wedbush Securities’ Michael Pachter thinks so after attending Redbox parent company Coinstar’s briefing yesterday for Wall Street analysts. Although the company only referred cryptically to its plan for a “new Redbox venture,” Pachter says this morning he believes that Coinstar “intends to sell movie tickets through its Redbox kiosks, helping its studio partners to drive higher-margin theatrical exhibition sales, while driving awareness of films that will ultimately come to DVD.” The company said in its presentation that it plans a market test for its “first Redbox new business concept” this year. The company has about 37,000 kiosks in 30,000 locations. Execs also offered a few details about their broadband venture with Verizon, on track to launch in the second half of this year. No word on pricing, but Pachter says “it appeared to us from the context of the discussion” that the subscription offer “will allow for unlimited streaming and limited DVD rentals at Redbox kiosks.” In addition to the talk about Redbox, Coinstar execs said they plan to sharply increase the number of kiosks that sell coffee, consumer electronics, beauty products, and prepared foods. In addition, Coinstar’s rolling out photo booths, and machines that enable consumers to get cash for their unused gift cards and used cell phones.
Is Redbox Preparing To Sell Movie Tickets At Its Disc Rental Kiosks?
What's Hot on Deadline
Ryan Reynolds' Maximum Effort Makes 3-Year Fox Deal; First Up Is 'Clue' With 'Deadpool' Scribes Reese & Wernick
'The Resident' Writer Zachary Lutsky Under Review In Light Of Past Sexual Harassment Allegations On 'Code Black'
'What We Do In The Shadows' TV Series Reboot From Jemaine Clement & Taika Waititi Gets FX Pilot Order, Sets Cast
Latest Film News
- Oscar-Winning Producer Dan Jinks Says Let’s Snub The Snubs – Guest Column
- Magnolia Picks Up Gustav Möller’s ‘The Guilty’ After Sundance Bow
- Ari Aster, Writer-Director Of Sundance Midnight Pic ‘Hereditary’, Inks With WME
- Kevin Spacey Costs Netflix $39 Million In Write-Downs In Fourth Quarter
- ‘The Long Dumb Road’: Jason Mantzoukas Discovers Some Mindblowing Details About The ‘Fast & Furious’ Pics – Sundance…
- Ryan Reynolds’ Maximum Effort Makes 3-Year Fox Deal; First Up Is ‘Clue’ With ‘Deadpool’ Scribes Reese…