IMAX grossed $21.1+M worldwide this weekend for 3D superhero actioner Marvel’s The Avengers bringing its global IMAX cume to approximately $31.2M through Sunday night. IMAX Avengers brought in $6.1 mil internationally (which includes an amazing first day gross in China of $1.1M) on 174 digital-only locations. In North America IMAX had one big problem: it ran out of seats to sell. Avengers grossed $15+M domestically on 275 digital-only IMAX screens, which looks to be a virtual tie with the Harry Potter finale for the highest grossing opening weekend in IMAX’s history. It reports 17 of the top 20 engagements in North America playing the film were IMAX runs, and 110 domestic IMAX locations established a new opening Saturday record. The domestic per screen average will come in at approximately $55K for the weekend. It was IMAX’s biggest domestic opening weekend for a digital only release, and IMAX’s biggest opening for 2012 so far.
IMAX Ran Out Of Seats To Sell 'Avengers'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Star Trek Beyond' Dips Below $60M; 'Lights Out' Electrifies; 'Ice Age' Bit By 'Pets' -- Box Office Sat. AM
'Star Trek' TV Reboot Title & Teaser Unveiled At Comic-Con; New Series "Won't Be Episodic", Bryan Fuller Says
Latest Film News
- Brie Larson (Finally) Confirmed As Captain Marvel – Comic-Con
- ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy’ Disney Theme Park Ride Set For Summer 2017 – Comic-Con
- ‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ First Look: It’s John Hughes With Super Powers – Comic-Con
- New ‘Doctor Strange’ Trailer: The Sorcerer Supreme Comes To Mindbending Life – Comic-Con
- ‘Black Panther’ Officially Adds Lupita Nyong’o, Michael B Jordan & Dani Gurira To Cast…
- Max Landis Writing ‘Pepe Le Pew’ Pic, He Tells Comic-Con