IMAX grossed $21.1+M worldwide this weekend for 3D superhero actioner Marvel’s The Avengers bringing its global IMAX cume to approximately $31.2M through Sunday night. IMAX Avengers brought in $6.1 mil internationally (which includes an amazing first day gross in China of $1.1M) on 174 digital-only locations. In North America IMAX had one big problem: it ran out of seats to sell. Avengers grossed $15+M domestically on 275 digital-only IMAX screens, which looks to be a virtual tie with the Harry Potter finale for the highest grossing opening weekend in IMAX’s history. It reports 17 of the top 20 engagements in North America playing the film were IMAX runs, and 110 domestic IMAX locations established a new opening Saturday record. The domestic per screen average will come in at approximately $55K for the weekend. It was IMAX’s biggest domestic opening weekend for a digital only release, and IMAX’s biggest opening for 2012 so far.
IMAX Ran Out Of Seats To Sell 'Avengers'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Netflix Raises $1.6 Billion In Bond Market To Fund Massive Content Spending
- Hasbro Posts Solid Q3 Entertainment Gains, But Warns Toys ‘R’ Us Bankruptcy Could Hurt Holiday Sales
- Renée Zellweger To Play Judy Garland In ‘Judy’ For Pathé, Calamity Films – AFM
- ‘Mudbound’ Director Dee Rees Talks Career Trajectory, Choosing Producers, And Her Love For Ensemble Casts
- ‘Kingsman’ Tops $250M Overseas On $40M China Bow; ‘IT’s At $650M+ WW; ‘DM3’ Catches ‘Dory’ – International…
- ‘Get Out’ Director Jordan Peele On Divisiveness, Black Identity & The “White Savior”