IMAX grossed $21.1+M worldwide this weekend for 3D superhero actioner Marvel’s The Avengers bringing its global IMAX cume to approximately $31.2M through Sunday night. IMAX Avengers brought in $6.1 mil internationally (which includes an amazing first day gross in China of $1.1M) on 174 digital-only locations. In North America IMAX had one big problem: it ran out of seats to sell. Avengers grossed $15+M domestically on 275 digital-only IMAX screens, which looks to be a virtual tie with the Harry Potter finale for the highest grossing opening weekend in IMAX’s history. It reports 17 of the top 20 engagements in North America playing the film were IMAX runs, and 110 domestic IMAX locations established a new opening Saturday record. The domestic per screen average will come in at approximately $55K for the weekend. It was IMAX’s biggest domestic opening weekend for a digital only release, and IMAX’s biggest opening for 2012 so far.
IMAX Ran Out Of Seats To Sell 'Avengers'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Empire' Ratings Fall To Low As Dolly Parton Movie Wins In Viewers; 'Arrow' Hits Season Highs With Mega-Crossover
'Supergirl'-'Flash'-'Arrow'-'Legends' Crossover Review: CW's Latest Team-Up Strongest & Most Ambitious Yet
Latest Film News
- Don Calfa Dies: ‘Return Of The Living Dead’ & ‘Barney Miller’ Actor Was 76
- Ellie Bamber & Justin Chon Head To ‘Taipei’
- Alibaba Pictures Senior Executive Detained By Chinese Authorities
- Natalie Portman Is First Lady in Oscar-Hopeful 'Jackie' – Specialty B.O. Preview
- ‘Harry Potter And The Cursed Child’ Snatches Broadway’s Lyric Theatre
- Andrew Sachs Dies: ‘Fawlty Towers’ Star Was 86