IMAX grossed $21.1+M worldwide this weekend for 3D superhero actioner Marvel’s The Avengers bringing its global IMAX cume to approximately $31.2M through Sunday night. IMAX Avengers brought in $6.1 mil internationally (which includes an amazing first day gross in China of $1.1M) on 174 digital-only locations. In North America IMAX had one big problem: it ran out of seats to sell. Avengers grossed $15+M domestically on 275 digital-only IMAX screens, which looks to be a virtual tie with the Harry Potter finale for the highest grossing opening weekend in IMAX’s history. It reports 17 of the top 20 engagements in North America playing the film were IMAX runs, and 110 domestic IMAX locations established a new opening Saturday record. The domestic per screen average will come in at approximately $55K for the weekend. It was IMAX’s biggest domestic opening weekend for a digital only release, and IMAX’s biggest opening for 2012 so far.
IMAX Ran Out Of Seats To Sell 'Avengers'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Transformers: The Last Knight' Running Out Of Gas With $15M Opening Day; 5-Day Outlook Now At $63M-$65M
'Quantico': Priyanka Chopra Among 4 Cast Members Returning For Season 3, Michael Seitzman Set As New Showrunner
Latest Film News
- ‘Marshall’ Trailer: Chadwick Boseman Stars As Pioneering Supreme Court Justice
- In Battle Of The Film Festivals, Telluride Comes Into Town And Upstages LAFF In Its Own Backyard
- ‘Transformers: The Last Knight’ Running Out Of Gas With $15M Opening Day; 5-Day Outlook Now At $63M-$65M
- New Leadership Coming To WGA West: President Howard Rodman Won’t Seek Re-Election
- Barry Levinson On ‘Wizard Of Lies’, Bernie Madoff And The Modern American Crime
- Focus Lands Joel Edgerton’s ‘Boy Erased’; Lucas Hedges, Russell Crowe, Nicole Kidman Star