The Weinstein Company has provided the first images from The Master, the Paul Thomas Anderson-directed film that stars Philip Seymour Hoffman, Joaquin Phoenix and Amy Adams. In this clip there is no Hoffman, who plays a man who creates a belief system and watches it take off in post-war America. Phoenix plays a guy looking for something to believe in, who becomes the title character’s right-hand man who then begins questioning his course. Many reports have claimed this movie is about Scientology, but from what I’ve heard it is as applicable to Mormonism or any modern-day belief system that launches and draws a following. The film, which languished at Universal and then was orphaned because of its $35 million budget, finally got made because Megan Ellison had the money to allow Anderson to see through his vision. It is always a compelling vision, so good for Ellison, who can afford to take a risk on an auteur.
Hot Trailer: 'The Master'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Oscar Winner Chris Terrio Returning To CAA
- Gotham Awards Winners List – ‘Spotlight’, ‘Tangerine’, ‘Diary’ And More
- Gotham Awards 2015 Live Blog – ‘Spotlight’ Leads With Wins Including Best Feature
- Bold Films Boards Barbie Origin Story ‘Barbie And Ruth’; Reese Witherspoon Eyed To Star
- ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Gets China Release Date; Local Poster Unveiled
- Will ‘Star Wars’ Take All The Air Out Of The Christmas Box Office? – Monday B.O. Postmortem