The Weinstein Company has provided the first images from The Master, the Paul Thomas Anderson-directed film that stars Philip Seymour Hoffman, Joaquin Phoenix and Amy Adams. In this clip there is no Hoffman, who plays a man who creates a belief system and watches it take off in post-war America. Phoenix plays a guy looking for something to believe in, who becomes the title character’s right-hand man who then begins questioning his course. Many reports have claimed this movie is about Scientology, but from what I’ve heard it is as applicable to Mormonism or any modern-day belief system that launches and draws a following. The film, which languished at Universal and then was orphaned because of its $35 million budget, finally got made because Megan Ellison had the money to allow Anderson to see through his vision. It is always a compelling vision, so good for Ellison, who can afford to take a risk on an auteur.
Hot Trailer: 'The Master'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Latin Lover' Gets More Love Thursday Night Than Emma Watson-Tom Hanks Thriller 'The Circle' - Box Office
M Night Shyamalan Unveils 'Glass': 'Unbreakable' & 'Split' Sequel To Star Bruce Willis, Samuel L Jackson, James McAvoy
Bravo Unveils Unscripted Slate With 6 New & 18 Returning Series; More 'Real Housewives' & 'Vanderpump Rules'
Latest Film News
- Director Jim Sheridan’s Next: ‘H-Block’ Coming Together With Cillian Murphy, Jamie Dornan, Pierce Brosnan
- Rami Malek On The Run In 'Buster's Mal Heart'; Noomi Rapace Kidnapped In 'Rupture' – Specialty B.O. Preview
- MTV Movie & TV Awards Set To Honor ‘Fast & Furious’ Franchise
- Sony’s Pictures Division Reports Loss Of $719M; Company’s Overall Net Profit Takes 50% Hit
- ‘Firestarter’: Stephen King Classic Reignites With Universal, Blumhouse & Akiva Goldsman Directing
- Tribeca Film Festival Winners: ‘Keep The Change’, ‘Bobbi Jene’ Tops