The weekly news magazine — to be called VICE — will be hosted by Shane Smith, who co-founded VICE Media and helped to build it into a youth oriented multi-media entertainment company. Smith, Bill Maher, and VICE Chief Creative Officer Eddy Moretti will be executive producers and CNN’s Fareed Zakaria will be a consultant. They plan to showcase unusual but engaging stories from around the globe. For example, they’re already working on segments about Taliban child suicide bombers; North Korean slave labor camps; New York’s underground voodoo heroin clinics; Somalian pirates; and Satanic dentists in the Pacific Northwest. “VICE has emerged as a premier new media brand through a savvy combination of irreverence, smarts and fearlessness,” says HBO Programming President Michael Lombardo. “We are excited to offer a forum for their groundbreaking style of news coverage and look forward to a show that’s like nothing else on TV.” Last year former Viacom chief Tom Freston became a major backer of VICE Media.
HBO & VICE Develop Newsmagazine Show With Help From Bill Maher & Fareed Zakaria
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Lieberman
- Why Wall Street Remains Wary About Viacom
- Are Advertisers Getting Ready To Leave The Super Bowl Party?
- Univision Extends CEO Randy Falco’s Contract To 2018
- Nickelodeon Developing A Direct-To-Consumer Subscription Service
- Viacom Q4 Revenues Miss Expectations With 6% Drop In U.S. Ad Sales
- NBC (Finally) Sells Out Super Bowl Ad Inventory