The weekly news magazine — to be called VICE — will be hosted by Shane Smith, who co-founded VICE Media and helped to build it into a youth oriented multi-media entertainment company. Smith, Bill Maher, and VICE Chief Creative Officer Eddy Moretti will be executive producers and CNN’s Fareed Zakaria will be a consultant. They plan to showcase unusual but engaging stories from around the globe. For example, they’re already working on segments about Taliban child suicide bombers; North Korean slave labor camps; New York’s underground voodoo heroin clinics; Somalian pirates; and Satanic dentists in the Pacific Northwest. “VICE has emerged as a premier new media brand through a savvy combination of irreverence, smarts and fearlessness,” says HBO Programming President Michael Lombardo. “We are excited to offer a forum for their groundbreaking style of news coverage and look forward to a show that’s like nothing else on TV.” Last year former Viacom chief Tom Freston became a major backer of VICE Media.
HBO & VICE Develop Newsmagazine Show With Help From Bill Maher & Fareed Zakaria
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Lieberman
- Cable One Says It's Doing Just Fine After Dropping Viacom Channels
- Big Media Shot Itself In The Foot By Selling Shows To Netflix: Analyst
- Redbox Says Weak Film Slate Weighed On Q3 Earnings
- Why Are DreamWorks Animation Shares Down After It Beat Earnings Expectations?
- Time Warner Cable's Troubles Selling SportsNet LA Hurt Q3 Earnings, But Attracted LA Subs – Update
- 'Dragon 2′ Helps DreamWorks Animation Beat Q3 Earnings Expectations – Live Blog