The weekly news magazine — to be called VICE — will be hosted by Shane Smith, who co-founded VICE Media and helped to build it into a youth oriented multi-media entertainment company. Smith, Bill Maher, and VICE Chief Creative Officer Eddy Moretti will be executive producers and CNN’s Fareed Zakaria will be a consultant. They plan to showcase unusual but engaging stories from around the globe. For example, they’re already working on segments about Taliban child suicide bombers; North Korean slave labor camps; New York’s underground voodoo heroin clinics; Somalian pirates; and Satanic dentists in the Pacific Northwest. “VICE has emerged as a premier new media brand through a savvy combination of irreverence, smarts and fearlessness,” says HBO Programming President Michael Lombardo. “We are excited to offer a forum for their groundbreaking style of news coverage and look forward to a show that’s like nothing else on TV.” Last year former Viacom chief Tom Freston became a major backer of VICE Media.
HBO & VICE Develop Newsmagazine Show With Help From Bill Maher & Fareed Zakaria
Trending Now on Deadline
'Ouija' Box Office May Scare Up $20M, 'John Wick' No. 2 With A Bullet, Bill Murray Graces 'St. Vincent' - B.O. Weekend
More From Lieberman
- Does Alibaba Plan To Take Control Of Lionsgate?
- FCC Postpones Auction Of Broadcast TV Spectrum To 2016
- When Will Big Hollywood Studios Aggressively Produce Original Shows For Digital TV?
- AMC Networks And BBC Chiefs On The Future Of BBC America
- AMC Networks Pays $200M For 49.9% Of BBC America
- Amazon Shares Fall After Q3 Losses Exceed Expectations