The stock price is down about 9.8% to $28.80 in afternoon trading — well below the May 18 initial offering price of $38. One likely reason for latest decline is that beginning today investors who are interested in Facebook, but don’t want to take the risk of buying the shares, can buy options in the stock. There’s been heavy trading on these bets that enable customers to buy or sell Facebook shares at a pre-set price on a specific date. Also weighing on the stock is the rumor, which began to circulate over the weekend, that Facebook is angling to buy Norway’s Opera Software, which makes Web browsers for mobile devices. The social network company has been snake bit since it went public, and especially following disclosures that the underwriters of its IPO — Morgan Stanley and Goldman Sachs– told institutional investors, but not the public, that they had lowered revenue estimates for Facebook.
Facebook Shares Swoon Again As Options Trading Begins
What's Hot on Deadline
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Legal Guardian Backs Actress' Sexual Assault Claims, Calls Joel Kramer "Pedophile" - Update
Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams "Reprehensible Smokescreen" - Update
Eliza Dushku Accuses 'True Lies' Stunt Coordinator Of Sexual Assault; Mother, Brother Support - Update
Latest Film News
- New York Film & TV Workers Protest During MLK Day With Rev. Al Sharpton & Top Empire State Pols
- Arnold Schwarzenegger “Shocked” About Eliza Dushku’s ‘True Lies’ Allegations, Calls Her “So Courageous”…
- Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams “Reprehensible Smokescreen” – Update
- ‘The Trade’: Exclusive Look At Showtime’s Opioid Epidemic Docuseries Ahead Of Sundance Premiere
- Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
- ‘Maria’: Ben Rekhi Wraps Timely Manila Drug-War Thriller With Alessandra De Rossi