Shares are up slightly in post-market trading after Disney delivered an earnings report with a little of something for everybody. The company generated net income of $1.22B, up 21.3% vs the period last year, on revenues of $9.62B, up 6.1%. The revenue figure was ahead of analyst expectations for $9.56B. Earnings per share, at 58 cents after excluding one-time items from last year, beat forecasts for 55 cents. Growing pay TV fees and ad sales at ESPN helped to drive a 9% increase in revenues at the Media Networks unit, to $4.69B, with operating income up 13% to $1.72B. Per usual, the cable networks stole the show (revenues +12% to $3.17B, and operating income +11% to $1.5B). But the broadcasting side, which includes ABC, benefited from lower programming and production costs (revenues +2% to $1.52B, and operating income +37% to $229M). Consumer spending increased at Disney’s Parks and Resorts, sending revenues +10% to $2.9B with operating income +53% to $222M. The Studio Entertainment unit suffered from the disappointing performance of, and announced write-down for, John Carter. That sent revenues -12% to $1.18B with an operating loss of $84M vs. a profit last year of $77M. The Consumer Products division had a complicated story, with licensing revenues offsetting a decline in retail sales; it ended up with revenues +8% to $679M and operating income +4% to $679M. Finally, Interactive Media saw a revenue gain of 13% to $179M while cost cuts contributed to a 39% decline in the operating loss to $70M. “We’re incredibly optimistic about our future, given the strength of our core brands,” CEO Bob Iger says. He also noted that The Avengers has “shattered box office records” with its $207.1M in domestic sales this past weekend and $702M global sales to date.
Disney Tops Fiscal Q2 Earnings Estimates With Boosts From Cable And Theme Parks
What's Hot on Deadline
Netflix Plans 80 Movies In 2018, Up From Eight In Current Quarter; "People Will Start Seeing The Potential"
Latest Film News
- One To Watch: The Incredible Underdog Story Of Beulah Koale, Star Of ‘Thank You For Your Service’ & ‘Hawaii Five-O…
- The Scaramucci Post Pulls “How Many Jews” Holocaust Poll After Twitter Torching
- Reese Witherspoon Says She Was Sexually Assaulted By Director At Age 16
- TV Azteca, Keshet Team For Super Series; Acorn Looks ‘Straight Forward’ – Mipcom
- Netflix Plans 80 Movies In 2018, Up From Eight In Current Quarter; “People Will Start Seeing The Potential”
- Cher Dances Her Way Into ‘Mamma Mia!’ Sequel