Colin Firth will play Noel Coward in BiteSize Entertainment‘s upcoming feature Mad Dogs And Englishmen. Gene Kirkwood and Ross Elliot, who are folding their Kirkwood-Elliot banner into new venture Bitesize, are producing. The film is based on the true story of the legendary playwright, actor and composer’s run at the Desert Inn in 1955. Kirkwood tells Deadline the screenplay, by Willy Holtzman, sees the quintessential Englishman invited to perform a cabaret act in the Inn after Liberace takes a spill and has to cancel. Owing the UK government a fair bit in taxes, Coward accepts the $30,000 offer. The story chronicles the two-week engagement and Coward’s relationship with his agent and the piano teacher who becomes his accompaniest. Firth is repped by CAA.
Colin Firth Taking His Act To Vegas As Noel Coward In 'Mad Dogs And Englishmen'
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Global Showbiz Briefs: Disney's 'Aladdin' Musical Headed To Japan; Steve McQueen Set For European Film Academy Honor; More
- Int'l Box Office Update: 'The Equalizer' Clocks $19M In Debut; 'Maze Runner' Races To $92.3M; 'Gone Girl' On Deck; More
- 'Downton Abbey' UK Ratings: Overnights Decline, But Don't Tell Whole Story
- Roland Emmerich's 'Stonewall' Sells To Warner Bros Germany In 1st Major Deal
- UK Producers Liza Marshall, Kris Thykier Launch Archery Pictures
- Jon Hamm, Oona Chaplin, Rafe Spall Board C4's Mind-Bending 'Black Mirror' Christmas Special