Are Broadway audiences ready for a noir story about power and betrayal in Old Hollywood? We’ll see next year: Emmy winner and Tony nominee Bobby Cannavale will star in a production of Clifford Odets’ play The Big Knife. The Roundabout Theatre Company production, directed by Tony winner Doug Hughes, will begin previews on March 22, 2013, at the American Airlines Theatre and open officially in April. The limited engagement runs through June 2. “The Big Knife is well overdue for a revival,” says Roundabout’s Artistic Director Todd Haimes. “It’s written by one of our greatest American playwrights with an array of great roles for actors to sink their teeth into.” He adds that Cannavale is “one of those modern actors who you can really imagine fitting right into the 1940s. There’s something wonderfully old-school about him.” The story involves Charlie Castle, a star in Hollywood’s golden age, who’s living with a secret that could destroy his career. When a woman threatens to tell all, Castle’s studio offers to help him — for a price. This will be the first Broadway revival of The Big Knife since the production that Lee Strasberg directed in 1949. Odetts wrote the Depression-era classic play Waiting For Lefty. A 1955 film of The Big Knife starred Jack Palance and Ida Lupino.
Bobby Cannavale To Star In Broadway Revival Of 'The Big Knife'
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Netflix Nabs Judd Apatow Comedy Series With 2-Season Order; Paul Rust & Gillian Jacobs To Star, Legendary TV To Produce
More From Lieberman
- Les Moonves: There's A “Strong Possibility” Showtime Will Be Available Without A Pay TV Subscription
- Discovery Plans To Run And Rebrand The Hub: Report
- Cable Industry Trade Confab Rebranded To INTX: The Internet And Television Expo
- Sony Slashes Profit Estimate As Mobile Phone Sales Fail To Connect
- UPDATE: FCC Net Neutrality Comment Period Closes With Record 3.7M Responses
- Scripps Networks Agrees To Supply Channels To Dish Network's Planned Streaming Video Service