News Corp COO Chase Carey is no happier about American Idol‘s performance than he was in February when he said the talent show was “a glass half full”: Today he told Wall Street analysts that “our challenge for next year is to put some fresh energy in it.” Last year the show made several changes, including bringing in Aerosmith’s Steven Tyler and singer/actress Jennifer Lopez as judges with Randy Jackson. But “we probably didn’t do enough this year,” Carey says. He noted that “Idol didn’t perform to what we hoped this year….The reality is, it’s an 11-year-old show.” That said, “it’s a big, profitable, number one show” that “makes a lot of money” and “has a lot of life in it.” Fox still considers it “a centerpiece for the network” as it enters the advertising upfront season.
'American Idol' Needs “Fresh Energy” News Corp Exec Says
What's Hot on Deadline
SAG Awards: 'Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri' Wins For Film Ensemble - Complete Winners List
SAG Awards Analysis: 'Three Billboards' Rebounds From PGA Loss, But Oscar Race Still Too Close To Call; NBC's 'This Is Us' Shakes Things Up On TV Side
Jason Blum's Advice To Burgeoning Producers At Sundance: "Don’t Worry About Your Movie Getting A Theatrical Release"
'Jumanji' At $768M WW Intensity & 4th #1 In A Row Overseas; 'Maze Runner: Death Cure' Debuts - International Box Office
White House Correspondent April Ryan Tells CNN News Organizations Have Police "On Speed Dial" For Death Threats
Latest TV News
- BBC Worldwide Investment; Banff Names Honouree; Sky Vision Closes ‘Britannia’ Sales – Global Briefs
- Caryn Mandabach Prods Developing Kazuo Ishiguro’s ‘When We Were Orphans’
- SAG Awards Analysis: ‘Three Billboards’ Rebounds From PGA Loss, But Oscar Race Still Too Close To Call; NBC’s ‘This Is Us’ Shakes…
- SAG Awards Backstage: Allison Janney Calls #MeToo Movement “Watershed Moment” For Hollywood
- SAG Awards: ‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri’ Wins For Film Ensemble – Complete Winners List
- Philadelphia Eagles Demolish Minnesota Vikings 38-7 In NFC Championship