Fox and IMAX announced today that Titanic 3D grossed a record $7 million on 64 IMAX screens in China, an opening-weekend record in the country for the company. The total surpasses the previous record-holder, Paramount’s Transformers: Dark Of The Moon, and bumps IMAX’s worldwide total for the rerelease of the James Cameron film to $15 million on 408 screens. On all screens, Titanic 3D grossed an estimated $74 million in China since opening April 10 there and $210 million globally. Overseas, it grossed $157 million through Sunday, including $98.9 million this past weekend, according to Box Office Mojo. Since its 3D rerelease, Titanic also surpassed $2 billion in worldwide gross; the 1997 original made a then-record $1.84 billion. It remains the second-highest-grossing movie in history behind Cameron’s Avatar.
'Titanic 3D' Sets IMAX Record In China
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- Hot Trailer: Jazz Docu 'Keep On Keepin' On'
- Sundance Institute Taps 10 For Docu Music And Sound Design Lab
- Brian Huskey Set For ABC's 'Selfie'; Rebecca Forsythe Joins 'Members Only'
- Relativity's 'Beyond The Lights' To Open 18th Urbanworld Fest
- Step Right Up For 'American Horror Story: Freak Show' Premiere Date
- Winona Ryder, Alfred Molina & Jon Bernthal Join HBO Miniseries 'Show Me A Hero'