Fox and IMAX announced today that Titanic 3D grossed a record $7 million on 64 IMAX screens in China, an opening-weekend record in the country for the company. The total surpasses the previous record-holder, Paramount’s Transformers: Dark Of The Moon, and bumps IMAX’s worldwide total for the rerelease of the James Cameron film to $15 million on 408 screens. On all screens, Titanic 3D grossed an estimated $74 million in China since opening April 10 there and $210 million globally. Overseas, it grossed $157 million through Sunday, including $98.9 million this past weekend, according to Box Office Mojo. Since its 3D rerelease, Titanic also surpassed $2 billion in worldwide gross; the 1997 original made a then-record $1.84 billion. It remains the second-highest-grossing movie in history behind Cameron’s Avatar.
'Titanic 3D' Sets IMAX Record In China
What's Hot on Deadline
Cloris Leachman On Gene Wilder & The 'Young Frankenstein' Scene That Cracked Him Up: "We Had To Do It 14 Times"
Latest Box Office News
- Forget About Summer & Sequelitis: Will Fall’s Crowded Pipeline Cannibalize B.O.? – Box Office
- Focus Features’ ‘A Monster Calls’ Dials Up Christmas Weekend Release
- Broadway’s Summer Slump Continues With 6.6% Box Office Drop; ‘Paramour’ Gets Therapy
- ‘Bourne’ Back At #1 & ‘Ice Age’ Skates To $300M+, Both With China Assist; ‘Pets’ Passes $700M WW – Intl…
- ‘Southside With You' Has Solid Debut Weekend Date: Specialty Box Office
- ‘Don’t Breathe’ Screams $26M+, Gives Sony 3rd Summer Cash Cow After ‘Sausage Party’, ‘Shallows’…