Fox and IMAX announced today that Titanic 3D grossed a record $7 million on 64 IMAX screens in China, an opening-weekend record in the country for the company. The total surpasses the previous record-holder, Paramount’s Transformers: Dark Of The Moon, and bumps IMAX’s worldwide total for the rerelease of the James Cameron film to $15 million on 408 screens. On all screens, Titanic 3D grossed an estimated $74 million in China since opening April 10 there and $210 million globally. Overseas, it grossed $157 million through Sunday, including $98.9 million this past weekend, according to Box Office Mojo. Since its 3D rerelease, Titanic also surpassed $2 billion in worldwide gross; the 1997 original made a then-record $1.84 billion. It remains the second-highest-grossing movie in history behind Cameron’s Avatar.
'Titanic 3D' Sets IMAX Record In China
What's Hot on Deadline
FX Orders Ryan Murphy Anthology Series 'Feud', Jessica Lange & Susan Sarandon To Star In First Installment: Crawford v Davis
20th Century Fox Taps BOOM! Superhero Tale 'Irredeemable'; Adam McKay Helms, Tommy Wirkola Scripting
'Captain America: Civil War' Directors Joe & Anthony Russo On Their Strange Road To Marvel Mavens - Deadline Q&A
Latest Box Office News
- Harvey Weinstein Gives ‘Finding Neverland’ The Hook, Sets August Broadway Closing
- New York Drama Critics’ Circle Votes ‘The Humans’ Best Play, ‘Shuffle Along’ Best Musical
- ‘Vaxxed’s Cinema Libre Teams With China’s Gaia To Expand U.S. Release, Head To Asia
- Matthew Perry’s West End Playwriting Debut Draws Crowds Despite Critics’ Barbs
- ‘Angry Birds’ Get Happy With Day-And-Date China Bow
- ‘Warcraft’ Sets China Release Two Days Ahead Of U.S.: A Burgeoning Trend?