Fox’s X-Men spinoff The Wolverine will be shooting in Sydney come August instead of Japan or Canada, industry trade site IF.com reports. Thanks to a $12.8 million Australian government payment and other incentives, location offset and payroll tax relief helped seal the deal. One-off payments like this are unusual. The Wolverine would have received more taxpayer funding but it didn’t qualify for the higher 40% producer offset, according to U.S. line producer Joe Caracciolo. That’s because it was not deemed an Australian production despite Jackman’s involvement as producer and star. Producers also considered shooting in Japan and Canada, but Caracciolo said the numbers added up for Fox to shoot in Sydney, which is standing in for Japan. James Mangold is directing. Lauren Shuler Donner and John Palermo are also producers. Deputy premier and minister for trade and investment Andrew Stoner said the production is expected to spend $80 million locally. X-Men Origins: Wolverine was also shot in New South Wales, Stoner pointed out. A significant portion of the visual effects will also be handled Down Under, but most post-production work is expected to take place in the United States. Fox has slated The Wolverine for release in July 2013.
'Wolverine' Lured To Australia By $12.8M
What's Hot on Deadline
Thanksgiving Box Office +12% Over 2014, Boosted By 'Mockingjay 2', 'Good Dinosaur' & 'Creed' - Sunday AM Final Update
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
'Mockingjay' Rules Roost; 'Good Dinosaur' Hatches With $29M; 'The Martian' Lands $50M In China - Intl Box Office Update
’The Danish Girl’ Bows With Style; 'Janis: Little Girl Blue' Solid In Debut; 'Carol’ Dominates Thanksgiving: Specialty B.O.
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Latest Film News
- ‘Mockingjay’ Rules Roost; ‘Good Dinosaur’ Hatches With $29M; ‘The Martian’ Lands $50M In China – Intl Box Office…
- 'The Danish Girl' Bows With Style; ‘Janis: Little Girl Blue’ Solid In Debut; ‘Carol' Dominates Thanksgiving: Specialty…
- ‘The Assassin’, ‘Carol’, ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Top BFI Sight & Sound’s Best Of 2015
- Will DiCaprio, Depp Or Smith Nab Best Actor Oscar Or Does Redmayne Take It Again? — Awardsline
- ‘Gods Of Egypt’: ‘Selma’ Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity…
- ‘Steve Jobs’ Composer Daniel Pemberton: Video Of ‘Circle Of Machines’ Performance