EXCLUSIVE: The one-year pact between indie production and distribution studio The Asylum and Starz/Anchor Bay Entertainment UK covers a guaranteed 10 titles for release in the UK across multiple platforms. Burbank-based The Asylum is known for so-called “mockbusters” with recent titles like Paranormal Entity; Titanic II and Grimm’s Snow White. The company produces 15-20 such films a year for TV, DVD and VOD. Upcoming projects include American Battleship and Bigfoot, which will premiere on Syfy in the US, Adopting Terror to air on Lifetime in June and theatrical/VOD pictures Nazis At The Center Of The Earth and Abraham Lincoln Vs. Zombies. “The Asylum are one of the most creative, exciting and dynamic production companies operating in the film industry today,” says Anchor Bay UK acquisitions director Rod Smith. “They don’t just tap in to the social zeitgeist, they drill into it and mine it for all its riches and make some of most entertaining and talked about films around. Love them or loathe them but you can’t ignore them.” The Asylum will start production in July on its latest timely mockbuster, Age Of The Hobbits.
Starz/Anchor Bay U.K. Commits To 1st-Look With Mockbuster Maker The Asylum
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Tartaglione
- Summer Film Budgets vs. Total Worldwide Grosses
- Venice: Thelma Schoonmaker On Working With Martin Scorsese, 'Silence' & Preserving Michael Powell's Legacy
- Weinstein Co Acquires 'Roald Dahl's Esio Trot' With Judi Dench & Dustin Hoffman
- Hot Venice Clip: James Franco's 'The Sound And The Fury'
- N Korea Warns UK Over C4 Political Thriller: “Anti-DPRK Hysteria” Would Bring “Disgrace And Self-Destruction”
- Venice: Lars Von Trier Speaks, Sort Of; Helmer Prepping English-Language TV Series, Eyes “Huge Cast”