EXCLUSIVE: Showtime has put in development The Angry Buddhist, a drama series project based on Seth Greenland’s upcoming novel of the same name, which explores family dynamics, deception, crime and politics. Novelist/playwright/screenwriter Greenland (HBO’s Big Love) will write the adaptation, from Anonymous Content. The drama with dark comedy elements is set in the high California desert between the trailer parks and amphetamine labs of Desert Hot Springs and the classic mid-century architecture of Palm Springs. It centers on three Duke brothers: a cop studying Buddhism, an unrepentant criminal and a wily U.S. Congressman running for his third term. As the Congressman is in for the fight of his political life against the charismatic Mary Swain, a sexy, well-financed, newcomer, none of the Dukes are prepared for the consequences when a murder occurs and threatens to derail all of their lives. The Angry Buddhist novel, published by Europa, comes out in the U.S. next Tuesday and has already been released in France. David Kanter will executive produce the Showtime project with Greenland, who is repped by RWSG and literary agent Henry Dunow. Greenland’s debut novel, the 2005 The Bones, was optioned by Sony. The movie rights to his second novel, the 2008 Shining City, were bought by Warner Bros. where the project is in active development.
Showtime Develops 'Angry Buddhist' Series
What's Hot on Deadline
Venice Film Festival Sets Lido Launch For Aronofsky, Clooney, Del Toro, Payne & More As Awards Buzz Begins - Full List
James Franco & Maggie Gyllenhaal 1970s Porn HBO Series 'The Deuce': It's Not Misogyny, It's Business - TCA
Netflix 'Triple Frontier' Eyes August Start; Mark Wahlberg, Charlie Hunnam, Garrett Hedlund, Pedro Pascal In Talks
Trevor Noah Discusses Donald Trump Transgender Troop Firing With Two Army Veterans On 'The Daily Show'
Latest TV News
- ‘Salvation’ Ratings Down, ‘Carmichael’ Even & CBS Wins Night
- AMC Developing 1990s Chicago Drama Series From Ben Watkins With Ed Burns Set To Exec Produce & Co-Star
- Showtime Orders Boston 1990s Crime Drama Pilot From Ben Affleck & Matt Damon, Gavin O’Connor To Direct
- ‘Absentia’ Trailer: First Look At Stana Katic Crime Thriller On AXN
- ‘At Home With Amy Sedaris’ Gets Fall Premiere Date On truTV
- Van Jones & Charles D. King’s Macro To Produce Political TV Drama Series ‘Indivisible’