Stargate and Star Trek composer Joel Goldsmith died on April 29 from cancer. Goldsmith was 54. A three-time Emmy nominee, Goldsmith composed music for over 330 episodes of the long running Stargate sci-fi franchise, created by Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin. Goldsmith’s music appears in Stargate SG-1, Stargate: Atlantis and Stargate Universe, as well as two direct-to-DVD 2009 films, Stargate: The Ark of Truth and Continuum.The son of composer Jerry Goldsmith, who won an Academy Award in 1977 for his score of The Omen, Joel Goldsmith was nominated for Emmys for an episode of Stargate SG-1, as well as for the Stargate Atlantis theme and for an episode of that series. Goldsmith worked on several other TV series including the 1990’s The Outer Limits reboot. He also did the music for films such as Kull the Conqueror and 2006’s hugely successful Call of Duty 3 videogame. The younger Goldsmith and his father, who died in 2004, eventually worked together as composers for 1996’s Star Trek: First Contact, to which Joel contributed over 20 minutes of his own music.
R.I.P. Joel Goldsmith
What's Hot on Deadline
'Captain America: Civil War' To Break Out In The U.S.; Looks To Defeat 'Ultron's $191M+ Debut - Box Office Preview
'Captain America: Civil War' Grabs $200.4M In Debut; 'Jungle Book' A Beast, And With 'Zootopia' Disney Has $1.24B From Three Titles - Int'l Box Office Final
Donald Trump Drums Ted Cruz Out Of Race, Praises Him As "One Hell Of A Competitor" with "Amazing Future"
Latest Film News
- Kevin Dillon & DeRon Horton Planted As Leads In ‘Dirt’
- Arnold Schwarzenegger Is Target In ‘Why We’re Killing Gunther’
- ‘Diary Of An Oxygen Thief’ Sells To S&S Imprint Gallery After Gotham Group Buys Screen Rights
- FilmRise Grabs Global Rights to SXSW Thriller ‘My Father Die’; Kino Lorber’s Sol Y Luna Acquires ‘Lucha Mexico…
- ‘A Bigger Splash’ Review: Sex, Seduction, Rock ‘N’ Roll & Naked Stars – Do We Have…
- Dascha Polanco Lands Female Lead In ‘iCreep’; Ingjerd Egeberg Joins ‘Downsizing’