Connections to the entertainment business were all but missing from the list of Pulitzer Prize winners announced today. Playwright Quiara Alegria Hudes, whose In The Heights musical was put into turnaround 13 months ago, is probably the closest, taking the Drama award for her play Water By The Spoonful. Others with links to the television business as expert talking heads for documentaries include the late Manning Marable, who won the History prize for his book Malcolm X: A Life of Reinvention, and John Lewis Gaddis, who took the Biography Pulitzer Prize for George F. Kennan: An American Life. The Pulitzer Prize for fiction, which has yielded such films and TV series as Cormac McCarthy’s The Road, Richard Russo’s Empire Falls, and Annie Proulx’s The Shipping News, was not awarded this year, the first time since 1977 and only the sixth time since the fiction award was first handed out in 1948. A complete list of winners, including detail on the journalism prizes, is available here.
Pulitzer Prizes: Few Hollywood Links
Oscar Watch 2017Best Picture Predictions by 28 ExpertsOdds1La La Land9/22Moonlight13/23Manchester by the Sea7/14Arrival10/15Lion10/1
What's Hot on Deadline
WGA Awards: 'Moonlight' & 'Arrival' Win Top Film Prizes; FX's 'Atlanta' & 'The Americans' Lead TV - Complete Winners List
'The Good Fight' Premiere: Showrunners On New Streaming Setup, Deleted Trump Scene, Alicia & Eli Possibly Coming Back
Latest Awardsline News
- Oscars: Is ‘Moonlight’ Poised To Make History After WGA Original Screenplay Win?
- Motion Pictures Sound Editors' Golden Reel Awards: ‘Hacksaw Ridge,’ ‘Westworld’ Among Winners…
- Make-Up Artists & Hair Stylists Guild Awards: ‘La La Land’, ‘People V. O.J. Simpson’ Among Winners…
- John Waters Strikes A Blow For The Not-Normal – And For The Union: WGA Awards
- WGA Awards: ‘Moonlight’ & ‘Arrival’ Win Top Film Prizes; FX’s ‘Atlanta’ & ‘The Americans’ Lead TV – Complete…
- Oliver Stone’s Critique Of America: It’s Not Just Donald Trump, “But A System” – WGA Awards