Richard Horton, a detective who formerly penned an anonymous police blog, filed suit on April 11 in London against Times Newspapers Ltd, a unit of News Corp’s News International, Bloomberg reports. Horton was exposed by The Times as the author of the blog back in 2009. At the time, he sued to block publication of his name, but lost when the newspaper aruged his identity was in the public interest. Earlier this year, Times editor James Harding acknowledged to the Leveson Inquiry into UK media ethics that the paper had misled the judge in Horton’s case and that a reporter had been given a formal warning after accessing the emails without authorization. He later said, “I sorely regret the intrusion into Richard Horton’s email account by a journalist in our newsroom. On behalf of the newspaper, I apologize.” Horton’s suit against The Times, which has largely avoided the phone hacking and bribery scandals at News International’s The Sun and the now-shuttered News Of The World, seeks “substantial” damages. The new suit comes as British attorney Mark Lewis arrives in the US to begin legal discussions that could lead to several lawsuits being filed over alleged phone hacking by News International employees. Those cases are understood to relate primarily to celebrities whose phones may have been hacked while they were visiting the US.
Police Detective Sues News Corp.'s Times Newspaper Over Email Hacking: Report
What's Hot on Deadline
'Parks & Rec' Mike Schur Says "Everybody Knew About Kevin Spacey"; 'Leftovers' Damon Lindelof Regrets Theroux Jokes
'Justice League' Encounters Kryptonite At The B.O. With $96M Opening: Why The DC Movie Weakened - Sunday AM Update
'Justice League' Lassos $185.5M Overseas, $281.5M WW; 'Thor' Rocks To $738M Global - International Box Office
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
Latest International News
- ‘Justice League’ Lassos $185.5M Overseas, $281.5M WW; ‘Thor’ Rocks To $738M Global – International…
- Harvey Weinstein Drew Up 91-Name List For Investigators To Target: Report
- ‘Justice League’ Rises To $70.7M Through Friday At International Box Office
- AT&T-Time Warner Merger Antitrust Review Casting Pall Over Fox Talks
- Warner Bros Launches China Exchange Program With Casting, Management Focus
- ‘White Sun’ EP Danny Glover On The Hope Children Bring For The Future Of The Political Process