Almost 50 new civil claims have been filed in the phone hacking scandal that has rocked Rupert Murdoch’s UK newspaper division. In London this morning, Hugh Tomlinson, the attorney representing a large part of the claimants said he had 44 new cases and that 2 others had been filed separately, The Guardian reports. The alleged voice mail interceptions concern the now-shuttered tabloid News Of The World, which was controlled by News Corp division News International. Tomlinson told the High Court today that there were 4,791 potential phone hacking victims. Police are said to have identified 1,174 likely victims out of 1,892 who have been contacted, says The Guardian. About 60 cases have already been settled including one brought by Jude Law. Citing an attorney at News Corp’s UK press unit, The Wall Street Journal says the company is determined to settle all possible civil suits. The news of the civil suits comes as lawyers are considering whether to pursue cases in the US. Both James Murdoch, who was formerly the head of News International, and his father Rupert are scheduled to give evidence next week at the Leveson Inquiry into UK media ethics.
News International Facing Slew Of New Civil Suits Over Alleged U.K. Phone Hacking
What's Hot on Deadline
'Creed' Sets Tuesday Preview Record As Thanksgiving B.O. Heats Up, 'The Good Dinosaur' Isn't Far Behind
Latest International News
- ‘Star Wars’ An Art House Movie? Some French Exhibs Think So, Stoking Indie Producers’ Ire
- Archery Pictures Rolls With Fiona Cummins’ Hot Book ‘Rattle’
- The Sony Hack One Year Later: Just Who Are The Guardians Of Peace?
- 'The Martian' Closing In On $500M Global: How Fox Marketers Brought Ridley Scott’s Cool Science To The Masses
- ‘Spanish Affairs 2’ Is Latest In Euro Culture-Clash Smashes, So Why No Hwd Remakes? – Intl B.O. Postmortem
- Chiwetel Ejiofor To Receive BIFA’s Richard Harris Award