Stock markets grappled with the worst day they’ve had so far in 2012 after a Federal Reserve report suggested that the central bank won’t continue to boost the economy by aggressively buying bonds. The Dow Jones U.S. Media Index was down 1.3% in late afternoon trading, slightly worse than the Dow Jones Industrial Average which was -0.9%. All Big Media stocks were down. Sony, -3.7%, was hit hardest followed by CBS (-2.8%), News Corp (-2.4%), Viacom (-1.6%), Time Warner (-1.4%), Comcast (-1.2%), and Disney (-0.9%). Other media companies down at least 3% include Pandora, Crown Media, Imax, A.H. Belo, Sinclair Broadcast Group, and TiVo. Only a few companies were up including exhibition companies Cinedigm (+1.8%), Marcus (+1.6%), Cinemark (+0.2%), and Carmike (+0.1%). The companies benefited from a growing optimism about the movie business this year following the 23.6% increase in box office sales in the first quarter vs the same period last year. The top performing media company was New Frontier: The pay TV porn provider said last night that it has hired investment bank Avondale Partners to consider strategic options as it evaluates competing takeover bids.
Media Stocks Hit As Investors Weigh Federal Reserve Plans For Economy
What's Hot on Deadline
'Thursday Night Football' Ratings Down From Thanksgiving 2016, Macy's Parade Steady, 'Young Sheldon' Up
'Coco' Now Higher With $74M+ Thanks To A+ CinemaScore; 'Justice League' At $61M+; 'Wonder' Wows At $32M+: Friday AM Update
Uma Thurman To Harvey Weinstein: "I'm Glad It's Going Slowly, You Don't Deserve A Bullet... Stay Tuned"
Denzel Washington & Dan Gilroy On Why 'Roman J. Israel, Esq' Never Left The '60s Behind - The Contenders Video
'Man Who Invented Christmas' Review: Dan Stevens & Christopher Plummer Turn Scrooge Origin Tale Into A Holiday Treat
Latest Film News
- Pete Hammond’s Notes On The Season: ‘Wonder’ Makes Awards Play; ‘Dunkirk’ Storms The Q&A Circuit; Netflix Sends A Pig…
- Kumail Nanjiani On How A Pitch To Judd Apatow About A Ghost Witch Movie Begat ‘The Big Sick’ – The…
- Exhibition Stocks Rise In Short Trading Session On Holiday Box Office Optimism
- ‘Arthur Miller: Writer’ Helmer Rebecca Miller Discusses Her Doc Portrait Of Father Arthur Miller
- Denis Villeneuve On His Love Of Sci-Fi, Working With Ridley Scott On ‘Blade Runner 2049’ & Revisiting ‘Dune’ – Behind…
- Denzel Washington & Dan Gilroy On Why ‘Roman J. Israel, Esq’ Never Left The ’60s Behind – The…