The embattled News Corp scion’s decision over his future as chairman of BSkyB is balancing on a “fine line,” The Daily Telegraph reports. Murdoch’s position will become tenuous if Parliament’s Culture, Media and Sport Committee censures him for not fully investigating the phone hacking that went on during his tenure as the head of News Corp’s UK media arm, News International. The committee’s findings are expected shortly after Easter. A critical finding could lead regulator Ofcom to extend its investigation into whether Murdoch is a “fit and proper” person to oversee the pay TV company. Per The Telegraph, concerns have been stirred at the board level of BSkyB given that negative report findings could mean Murdoch would be forced to leave with a tarnished reputation. Murdoch recently resigned as executive chairman of News International and has also stepped down from the boards of GlaxoSmithKline and Sotheby’s. At the time of his News International resignation, Murdoch, who had moved to New York, said, “I look forward to expanding my commitment to News Corporation’s international television businesses and other key initiatives across the Company.” Meanwhile, two key independent directors are set to leave the BSkyB board and a third is shifting into a non-independent role, leaving three vacancies to be filled, The Financial Times reports. New independent members could undermine the board’s current unanimous support for Murdoch, the newspaper says.
James Murdoch Could Leave BSkyB Ahead Of Media Committee's Findings: Report
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Middle' Series Finale: ABC's Fond Farewell To America's Beloved TV Family Is One "Heck Of A Ride"
'The Middle' Co-Creator On The "Bittersweet" Series Finale, Devoted Fans And Possible 10-Year Reboot
'Disenchantment' Teases First Look At Fantastical Characters In Matt Groening's Very Adult Netflix Animated Series
Latest International News
- Richard Gere Confirmed For First Major TV Role In BBC Drama ‘MotherFatherSon’
- ‘Solo’ Could Break $139M Stateside Memorial Day Opening Record; Global Conquest Eyes $305M+
- ‘Today’ Grabs Royal Wedding Week Ratings Crown
- ‘Under The Silver Lake’ Execs Board Iraq War Drama ‘A Brotherhood’ About Vet Whose Brother Is Kidnapped…
- ‘Peppa Pig’ & TV Content Drive Entertainment One Results But Movie Revenues Slow
- ‘The Expendables 4’ Muscles Up: Sylvester Stallone Action Pic & ‘Rambo 5’ Sell To China In Eight-Figure…