Maggie Smith has informed writer Julian Fellowes she would like for the third season of Downton Abbey to be her last, according to the Daily Mail, which added that he had persuaded her to stick around for the Christmas special. Smith plays the acid-tongued Dowager Countess. Britain’s ITV drama, which airs on PBS’ Masterpiece in the United States, is filmed at Highclere Castle in Hampshire and at Ealing Studios in London. A source told the Daily Mail that “Maggie has asked Julian to write her character out. She is filming until August and then wants to leave, going out on a high. She thinks that three series is enough.” Smith, 77, won an Oscar for the title role in the 1969 movie The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie and a Supporting Actress Oscar for Neil Simon’s 1978 California Suite, but she’s probably better known for her work in the Harry Potter movies and for another Fellowes film, Gosford Park.
Is Maggie Smith Leaving 'Downton Abbey'?
What's Hot on Deadline
Sony Pictures Confirms Quentin Tarantino Deal; Margot Robbie, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio Circling
Jeffrey Tambor Accused By 'Transparent' Actress Of Sexual Harassment; Actor Admits "Flaws," Says "Misinterpreted"
Ryan Eggold, Who Played Fan Favorite Tom Keen In 'The Blacklist,' Joins Spike Lee's 'Black Klansman'
'The Royals' Female Cast & Crew Members Speak Out, Accuse Showrunner Mark Schwahn Of Sexual Harassment
'Justice League' Currently Stumbling With $97M+ Opening: Are 'Wonder' & 'Thor' Cutting Into Business?
Latest TV News
- Liza Koshy To Star In New YouTube Red Comedy Series ‘Liza On Demand’
- ‘The Four’ Fox Reality Competition Sets Sean Combs, DJ Khaled, Meghan Trainor & Charlie Walk As Stars, Gets Premiere…
- White House Celebrates Donald Trump For Not Acknowledging Sexual Assault Claims
- ‘Suits’ Spinoff: Simon Kassianides Joins Potential Gina Torres-Toplined Offshoot
- Fox And Viacom Lead Media Stock Rally Sparked By Merger Speculation
- Kat Dennings To Star In Hulu Pilot ‘Dollface’; ‘I, Tonya’s Margot Robbie, Bryan Unkeless Producing