The big online movie ticketseller Fandango today reported a huge 127% increase in ticket sales for first quarter 2012 compared to last year. That breaks the company record and is the best ever in the company’s nearly 12-year history. It also underscores the red-hot box office and shows how moviegoers are buying their tickets online via their computers, smart phones, and tablets. Fandango also reported a 58% year-over-year increase in monthly visitors (totaling 33 million), and a 23% surge in its top quarterly mobile percentage of total tickets sold. In turn, Fandango said it expanded exhibitor reach in the first quarter by 19%, with recent deals with AMC Theatres, Regency Theatres and other chains. It now sells tickets to nearly 20,000 screens nationwide. Fandango also said it recently signed a partnership deal with Yahoo, becoming the movie ticketing provider for all of the network’s sites. And Fandango also just launched a Facebook Timeline app dubbed “Movies with Friends” to help drive new traffic and fan engagement because it allows Fandango friends to share their moviegoing activities in real time. EVP/GM Rick Butler in a statement credited blockbusters like The Hunger Games for the increases. Fandango sold 22% of the March blockbuster’s opening weekend box office and, during peak periods, sold 60,000 tickets per hour.
Hot Box Office Gives Fandango Record Q1
What's Hot on Deadline
'Black Panther' Goes Wild: 2nd Best Sunday $60M+; 3-Day $201M+; 4-Day To Shred 'Jurassic World' & Possibly 'Last Jedi'
Winter Olympics: Adam Rippon Turns Down NBC Correspondent Position, Net Struggles With Broadcast Gaffes — Update
Olympic Curling Medalist From Russia Busted For Doping; Wardrobe Malfunction Leaves French Ice Dancer Exposed
Latest Film News
- ‘Black Panther’: Hollywood Cannot Stop Praising The Groundbreaking Marvel Blockbuster
- Oscars Street Closures: When & Where To Expect Detours, Delays
- SAG-AFTRA Closes “Wigging” Probe, Says It “Remains Committed” To Ending Practice Of Men Doubling…
- Activist Organization Hosts Voter Registration Events At ‘Black Panther’ Screenings
- Blue Fox Hires Myriad Pictures’ Audrey Delaney As Marketing & Distribution SVP – Berlin
- José Padilha Lifts The Lid On ‘7 Days In Entebbe’ – Berlin