After narrowing the ratings gap with long-time dominant morning program NBC’s Today, ABC’s Good Morning America posted its first weekly win in total viewers. That dethrones Today, which had been on top for more than 16 years — since the week of Dec. 4, 1995. According to Nielsen fast nationals, GMA drew 5.147 million viewers for the week of April 9, the first week back for co-host Robin Roberts after a weeklong vacation, to Today‘s 5.134 million. Compared with the previous week, when Katie Couric subbed for Roberts, GMA increased its viewership by 7% while Today, sans vacationing co-host Matt Lauer, was down 9%. “This is an exciting day, but we will save any celebrating for when the final numbers come in on Thursday,” said Tom Cibrowski, GMA‘s senior executive producer. Today still won in adults 25-54, but GMA‘s first total viewer victory in so many years will likely have an impact on the NBC show, which will look to shake things up. With Lauer just locked into a new long-term contract, the focus is on Ann Curry, who has been on shaky ground for a while.
'GMA' Ends 'Today's Winning Streak With First Weekly Viewership Victory In 16 Years
What's Hot on Deadline
'Thursday Night Football' Ratings Down From Thanksgiving 2016, Macy's Parade Steady, 'Young Sheldon' Up
Pete Hammond's Notes On The Season: 'Wonder' Makes Awards Play; 'Dunkirk' Storms The Q&A Circuit; Netflix Sends A Pig To Voters
Uma Thurman To Harvey Weinstein: "I'm Glad It's Going Slowly, You Don't Deserve A Bullet... Stay Tuned"
Journalism Schools Rescind Awards Given To Charlie Rose In Wake Of Sexual Misconduct Accusations — Update
Latest TV News
- Peter Baldwin Dies: ‘Mary Tyler Moore’, ‘Wonder Years’ Director Was 86
- Apple Investment In Original Video Will Reach $4.2 Billion By 2022: Report
- ‘Thursday Night Football’ Ratings Down From Thanksgiving 2016, Macy’s Parade Steady, ‘Young…
- Al Franken: “Committed To Regaining Trust”; More Comment Expected Sunday
- Matt Berry Reveals British Comedy ‘Toast Of London’ Is To Return
- CBS and Dish Reach Carriage Agreement