After narrowing the ratings gap with long-time dominant morning program NBC’s Today, ABC’s Good Morning America posted its first weekly win in total viewers. That dethrones Today, which had been on top for more than 16 years — since the week of Dec. 4, 1995. According to Nielsen fast nationals, GMA drew 5.147 million viewers for the week of April 9, the first week back for co-host Robin Roberts after a weeklong vacation, to Today‘s 5.134 million. Compared with the previous week, when Katie Couric subbed for Roberts, GMA increased its viewership by 7% while Today, sans vacationing co-host Matt Lauer, was down 9%. “This is an exciting day, but we will save any celebrating for when the final numbers come in on Thursday,” said Tom Cibrowski, GMA‘s senior executive producer. Today still won in adults 25-54, but GMA‘s first total viewer victory in so many years will likely have an impact on the NBC show, which will look to shake things up. With Lauer just locked into a new long-term contract, the focus is on Ann Curry, who has been on shaky ground for a while.
'GMA' Ends 'Today's Winning Streak With First Weekly Viewership Victory In 16 Years
What's Hot on Deadline
'Captain America: Civil War' To Break Out In The U.S.; Looks To Defeat 'Ultron's $191M+ Debut - Box Office Preview
'Captain America: Civil War' Grabs $200.4M In Debut; 'Jungle Book' A Beast, And With 'Zootopia' Disney Has $1.24B From Three Titles - Int'l Box Office Final
Donald Trump Drums Ted Cruz Out Of Race, Praises Him As "One Hell Of A Competitor" with "Amazing Future"
Disney Swingin' As 'The Jungle Book' Beats $700M Global; 'Captain America: Civil War' Rises To $224.3M Offshore
Latest TV News
- FCC Approves Altice’s $17.7B Acquisition Of Cablevision Citing Absence Of Harms
- Ted Cruz Drops Out Of White House Race After Donald Trump Mows Him Down In Indiana Primary – UPDATE
- Deadline’s The Contenders Emmys Video: Hulu’s ‘Casual’ Takes Its Tales Of Dating Woes From Real Life…
- ‘Peaky Blinders’ Season 3 Gets Netflix U.S. Debut Date
- Geraldo Rivera Sits Down With El Chapo Gal Pal Kate Del Castillo On Saturday
- AOL To Open Studio For Live Virtual Reality Productions In NYC – Newfront