BREAKING: As Deadline revealed earlier today, F. Gary Gray is in final talks to helm Straight Outta Compton. That’s the New Line project that traces the formation of seminal hip hop group NWA, which launched careers including Eazy E, Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, MC Ren and DJ Yella. The group branded itself with volatile songs like Fuck tha Police and politically charges songs that reflected the growing ire of urban youth in the 1980s and set the tone for gangsta Los Angeles rap culture. The film was set up at New Line by Cube’s Cube Vision. Gray last directed Law Abiding Citizen, Be Cool and The Italian Job. He has also directed music videos for Ice Cube. Gray is repped by UTA and Principato-Young.
Director F. Gary Gray Takes On 'Straight Outta Compton'
What's Hot on Deadline
‘Boyhood’, 'Grand Budapest', 'Lego Movie' Score Big At 65th ACE Eddie Awards -- Complete Winners List
Bryan Cranston & David Shore's ‘Sneaky Pete’ Civil Rights Crime Drama From Rene Balcer Get CBS Pilot Orders
More From Fleming Jr
- Sundance Pic ‘Digging For Fire’ Acquired By The Orchard & Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions – Update
- Steinbeck’s ‘In Dubious Battle’ Helmed By James Franco With Strong Cast – Berlin
- Peter Berg In Talks To Replace JC Chandor On ‘Deepwater Horizon’ – Update
- Crowd Funding Effort Aims To Restore Debut Of ‘Meek’s Cutoff’ Helmer Kelly Reichardt
- New Line Sets ‘How To Be Single’ Cast
- Woody Allen’s Latest Movie Gets A Title And Sony Classics Deal