BREAKING: As Deadline revealed earlier today, F. Gary Gray is in final talks to helm Straight Outta Compton. That’s the New Line project that traces the formation of seminal hip hop group NWA, which launched careers including Eazy E, Ice Cube, Dr. Dre, MC Ren and DJ Yella. The group branded itself with volatile songs like Fuck tha Police and politically charges songs that reflected the growing ire of urban youth in the 1980s and set the tone for gangsta Los Angeles rap culture. The film was set up at New Line by Cube’s Cube Vision. Gray last directed Law Abiding Citizen, Be Cool and The Italian Job. He has also directed music videos for Ice Cube. Gray is repped by UTA and Principato-Young.
Director F. Gary Gray Takes On 'Straight Outta Compton'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Uncharted' Reconfigured: 'Spider-Man Homecoming's Tom Holland To Play Young Nathan Drake For Shawn Levy
'Criminal Minds': Kirsten Vangsness & A.J. Cook In Limbo Over Parity Push As Joe Mantegna & Matthew Gray Gubler Re-Up
Latest Film News
- IFC Closing Deal For Director’s Fortnight Pic ‘A Ciambra:’ Cannes
- Sam Mendes In Early Talks To Direct Disney’s Live-Action ‘Pinocchio’
- Joss Whedon To Wrap Up ‘Justice League’ Movie After Snyder Family Tragedy
- Joey King, Julia Goldani-Telles & More Join ‘Slender Man’ From Director Sylvain White
- Women Lead The Charge Toward A Gender Balance Not Seen In The History Of Entertainment — Deadline Disruptors
- When The Film Academy Invites New Members, Keep An Eye On That Growing Documentary Branch