Fox News chairman/CEO Roger Ailes referred to CNN’s Soledad O’Brien in a speech earlier this week to North Carolina journalism students as “that girl that’s named after a prison.” MediaIte, which reported Ailes’ remark, updated its report when O’Brien Tweeted a correction: “Um. I wasn’t named after a prison. Ailes is mistaken. I was named after the Virgin Mary.” O’Brien has addressed the issue before. Her name is Maria de la Soledad Teresa O’Brien. Her father chose the name Maria de la Soledad to honor the Blessed Virgin Mary of Solitude — which in Spanish is soledad.
CNN's Soledad O'Brien To Fox's Roger Ailes: 'I Was Named After The Virgin Mary'
What's Hot on Deadline
Red Nose Day Actually: 'Love Actually' Short-Film Sequel With Hugh Grant, Keira Knightley, Bill Nighy & More
Latest TV News
- Donald Trump Son-In Law Jared Kushner Discussed Secret Communication Channel With Russia: Report
- Stephen Colbert Explains How Donald Trump Alpha-Dogged His Way Through NATO Summit
- ‘The Simpsons’: Donald Trump Gets A Thank-You From Richard Nixon’s Ghost
- Viacom’s Great Program Migration: Guide To Which Show Moved Where
- MSNBC President Phil Griffin Signs New Deal; Whither Goest Lawrence O’Donnell?
- ‘The 100’ Ups Tasya Teles To Regular; ‘Supergirl’s Floriana Lima To Return As Recurring