Fox News chairman/CEO Roger Ailes referred to CNN’s Soledad O’Brien in a speech earlier this week to North Carolina journalism students as “that girl that’s named after a prison.” MediaIte, which reported Ailes’ remark, updated its report when O’Brien Tweeted a correction: “Um. I wasn’t named after a prison. Ailes is mistaken. I was named after the Virgin Mary.” O’Brien has addressed the issue before. Her name is Maria de la Soledad Teresa O’Brien. Her father chose the name Maria de la Soledad to honor the Blessed Virgin Mary of Solitude — which in Spanish is soledad.
CNN's Soledad O'Brien To Fox's Roger Ailes: 'I Was Named After The Virgin Mary'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- ‘Extant’ Cancelled After 2 Seasons; Halle Berry To Produce Legal Drama For CBS
- Joy Behar Lands TLC Late-Night Series
- Cameron Thor Sentencing Postponed As Acting Coach Hires Mark Geragos
- ‘Fear The Walking Dead’ Clocks Highest-Rated First Season In Cable History
- ‘American Ninja Warrior’ Spinoff Set At Esquire Network For 2016
- CAA Book Promises To Surprise, Will Hit Store Shelves Next Summer