Fox News chairman/CEO Roger Ailes referred to CNN’s Soledad O’Brien in a speech earlier this week to North Carolina journalism students as “that girl that’s named after a prison.” MediaIte, which reported Ailes’ remark, updated its report when O’Brien Tweeted a correction: “Um. I wasn’t named after a prison. Ailes is mistaken. I was named after the Virgin Mary.” O’Brien has addressed the issue before. Her name is Maria de la Soledad Teresa O’Brien. Her father chose the name Maria de la Soledad to honor the Blessed Virgin Mary of Solitude — which in Spanish is soledad.
CNN's Soledad O'Brien To Fox's Roger Ailes: 'I Was Named After The Virgin Mary'
What's Hot on Deadline
Warner Bros Wins Visionary Viral Short 'Sundays' Auction; You Gotta See What $51,000 Can Look Like Onscreen
Latest TV News
- Trailer For J.K. Rowling’s ‘The Casual Vacancy’ On HBO
- NCAA Tournament Ratings Jump From First Friday, ‘Hart Of Dixie’ Finale Even
- DVR Gains Raise Renewal Prospects For Sunday Newbies ‘Secrets & Lies’ & ‘Last Man On Earth’, Justify ‘Royals…
- Bill Maher To PC Liberals: “Shut Up”
- Trevor Noah’s Fast Track To Replace Jon Stewart On ‘The Daily Show’
- ‘Furious 7′ Stars Take Over ‘Kimmel’ Next Week; NBC Late-Nighters Slim On Guests From Universal Pic