Fox News chairman/CEO Roger Ailes referred to CNN’s Soledad O’Brien in a speech earlier this week to North Carolina journalism students as “that girl that’s named after a prison.” MediaIte, which reported Ailes’ remark, updated its report when O’Brien Tweeted a correction: “Um. I wasn’t named after a prison. Ailes is mistaken. I was named after the Virgin Mary.” O’Brien has addressed the issue before. Her name is Maria de la Soledad Teresa O’Brien. Her father chose the name Maria de la Soledad to honor the Blessed Virgin Mary of Solitude — which in Spanish is soledad.
CNN's Soledad O'Brien To Fox's Roger Ailes: 'I Was Named After The Virgin Mary'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Furious 7' Drives To $1.12B Global, Busts China Records; 'Dragonball' Big In Japan - Intl B.O. Update
Latest TV News
- At Panel Screening, Cast And Creators Talk ‘The Walking Dead’ Deaths, Lack Of The Word “Zombie”
- ‘Full House’ Return A Go On Netflix, John Stamos Tells Jimmy Kimmel
- ‘Inside Amy Schumer’ Renewed For Season 4 By Comedy Central
- Jon Stewart’s Last Day On ‘The Daily Show:’ August 6
- Adrianne Palicki & Nick Blood Eyed To Topline ‘Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.’ Spinoff
- W. Peter Iliff & Adam Small Sign With APA