Fox News chairman/CEO Roger Ailes referred to CNN’s Soledad O’Brien in a speech earlier this week to North Carolina journalism students as “that girl that’s named after a prison.” MediaIte, which reported Ailes’ remark, updated its report when O’Brien Tweeted a correction: “Um. I wasn’t named after a prison. Ailes is mistaken. I was named after the Virgin Mary.” O’Brien has addressed the issue before. Her name is Maria de la Soledad Teresa O’Brien. Her father chose the name Maria de la Soledad to honor the Blessed Virgin Mary of Solitude — which in Spanish is soledad.
CNN's Soledad O'Brien To Fox's Roger Ailes: 'I Was Named After The Virgin Mary'
What's Hot on Deadline
Keaton Jones Facebook Video Gone After Mom's Confederate Flag Photos Surface: Is Hollywood Still "KeatonStrong"?
Latest TV News
- Netflix And DreamWorks Animation TV Reveal Six New Series Including ‘Trolls’, ‘She-Ra’
- Nick Stoller Inks Overall Deal With Sony Pictures Television
- Viceland Ups Catherine Whyte & Meghan Kirsch
- NBC Developing ‘Natural History’ Museum Comedy From Chris Hardwick & David X. Cohen
- Michael Apted To Get DGA Honorary Life Member Award
- ‘Sesame Street’ Sets Ben Lehmann As Executive Producer