Fox News chairman/CEO Roger Ailes referred to CNN’s Soledad O’Brien in a speech earlier this week to North Carolina journalism students as “that girl that’s named after a prison.” MediaIte, which reported Ailes’ remark, updated its report when O’Brien Tweeted a correction: “Um. I wasn’t named after a prison. Ailes is mistaken. I was named after the Virgin Mary.” O’Brien has addressed the issue before. Her name is Maria de la Soledad Teresa O’Brien. Her father chose the name Maria de la Soledad to honor the Blessed Virgin Mary of Solitude — which in Spanish is soledad.
CNN's Soledad O'Brien To Fox's Roger Ailes: 'I Was Named After The Virgin Mary'
What's Hot on Deadline
Peter Jackson & Fran Walsh Rev 'Mortal Engines'; Directing Debut For 'Hobbit' VFX Protege Christian Rivers
Latest TV News
- DraftKings & FanDuel Settle NY Lawsuits For $12M
- CNN Logs Fourth Demo Win For 15-Year Best; FNC Tops Cable In Total Viewers For 10th Week
- ‘Seven Seconds’: David Lyons & Beau Knapp To Co-Star In Netflix Drama Series
- ‘Zero Days’ Premiere Moved Up As Showtime Rides Cyberwarfare Wave
- ‘Saturday Night Live’ Primetime Election Special Set For November 7
- AT&T And Time Warner Chiefs Visit Warner Bros. In L.A. Swing