Fox News chairman/CEO Roger Ailes referred to CNN’s Soledad O’Brien in a speech earlier this week to North Carolina journalism students as “that girl that’s named after a prison.” MediaIte, which reported Ailes’ remark, updated its report when O’Brien Tweeted a correction: “Um. I wasn’t named after a prison. Ailes is mistaken. I was named after the Virgin Mary.” O’Brien has addressed the issue before. Her name is Maria de la Soledad Teresa O’Brien. Her father chose the name Maria de la Soledad to honor the Blessed Virgin Mary of Solitude — which in Spanish is soledad.
CNN's Soledad O'Brien To Fox's Roger Ailes: 'I Was Named After The Virgin Mary'
What's Hot on Deadline
Bill O'Reilly Victim Of "Orchestrated Campaign" Fox News Says As He Responds To One Of New Reports – Update
More From Team
- ‘Daredevil’ Key Art Revealed: Charlie Cox As Netflix’s Superhero
- Kate Shaw Joins ABC News Covering Supreme Court, Legal Issues On Hill
- ‘CSI’ Goes Worldwide For Shot At The Guinness Book Of Records
- Jane Turton Upped To CEO At All3Media
- Stone Village Is Ringmaster Of ‘Circus Mirandus’ Rights
- Fox Writers Intensive Finalists Named