Fox News chairman/CEO Roger Ailes referred to CNN’s Soledad O’Brien in a speech earlier this week to North Carolina journalism students as “that girl that’s named after a prison.” MediaIte, which reported Ailes’ remark, updated its report when O’Brien Tweeted a correction: “Um. I wasn’t named after a prison. Ailes is mistaken. I was named after the Virgin Mary.” O’Brien has addressed the issue before. Her name is Maria de la Soledad Teresa O’Brien. Her father chose the name Maria de la Soledad to honor the Blessed Virgin Mary of Solitude — which in Spanish is soledad.
CNN's Soledad O'Brien To Fox's Roger Ailes: 'I Was Named After The Virgin Mary'
What's Hot on Deadline
'NCIS' Current & Former Cast & Crew Remember Gary Glasberg: "Our Rock, Our Cheerleader, Our Team Captain" - Update
Latest TV News
- ABC Buys Fashion Soap From Conde Nast & ‘Empire’ Exec Producer Sanaa Hamri
- NYC Film Office Launches Effort To Boost Women Filmmakers
- ‘Luke Cage’ EP On Marvel Series’ Hip-Hop Pulse, The Power Of A Bulletproof Black Man & Exploding Twitter
- ‘Designated Survivor’ & ‘Lethal Weapon’ Post Modest Week 2 Ratings Dips, ‘Criminal Minds’ & ‘Code Black…
- ‘Nashville’ Adds Joseph David-Jones & Cameron Scoggins As Recurring For Season 5
- ‘Crisis In Six Scenes’ Review: Woody Allen’s Limp Amazon Series Is All Old Tricks