Fox News chairman/CEO Roger Ailes referred to CNN’s Soledad O’Brien in a speech earlier this week to North Carolina journalism students as “that girl that’s named after a prison.” MediaIte, which reported Ailes’ remark, updated its report when O’Brien Tweeted a correction: “Um. I wasn’t named after a prison. Ailes is mistaken. I was named after the Virgin Mary.” O’Brien has addressed the issue before. Her name is Maria de la Soledad Teresa O’Brien. Her father chose the name Maria de la Soledad to honor the Blessed Virgin Mary of Solitude — which in Spanish is soledad.
CNN's Soledad O'Brien To Fox's Roger Ailes: 'I Was Named After The Virgin Mary'
What's Hot on Deadline
Good Universe Lands Uber Sex Harassment Whistleblower Susan Fowler Pic; 'Hidden Figures' Allison Schroeder Scripting
'Suburbicon' Review: George Clooney, Coen Brothers & Matt Damon Seem Like A Dream Team, But The Results Disappoint
Latest TV News
- Wizard World To Launch SVOD Service In China For English-Language Content
- Tinopolis Regains Full Ownership Of Group, Buys Out Vitruvian Stake
- ‘The Little Prince’, ‘Moana’, ‘Sing’ & ‘Kubo’ Snag BAFTA Children’s Nominations; Lionsgate Names India Head…
- Trevor Noah “Applauds” Fox News For Reporting On Sexual Predators Not In Building
- Stephen Colbert Ponders George W. Quip That Tickled Obama During Benefit
- Amazon Studios: Joe Lewis Exits As Head Of Comedy & Drama