Fox News chairman/CEO Roger Ailes referred to CNN’s Soledad O’Brien in a speech earlier this week to North Carolina journalism students as “that girl that’s named after a prison.” MediaIte, which reported Ailes’ remark, updated its report when O’Brien Tweeted a correction: “Um. I wasn’t named after a prison. Ailes is mistaken. I was named after the Virgin Mary.” O’Brien has addressed the issue before. Her name is Maria de la Soledad Teresa O’Brien. Her father chose the name Maria de la Soledad to honor the Blessed Virgin Mary of Solitude — which in Spanish is soledad.
CNN's Soledad O'Brien To Fox's Roger Ailes: 'I Was Named After The Virgin Mary'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- Mel Gibson’s ‘Hacksaw Ridge’ Sweeps Australia’s AACTA Awards
- ‘South Park’ Season Of Serialization Ends With Donald Trump Surrogate Still In White House
- Madonna Twerks, Vamps, Pouts, Fashion-Critiques Through Carpool Karaoke With James Corden
- Stephen Colbert Torches Donald Trump’s National Security Adviser Pick, Pizzagate, Wikileaks
- ‘Hairspray Live!’ Integrates Ads And Audiences Into NBC’s Holiday Musical – Review
- Adrianne Tolsch Dead: Pivotal Stand-Up Comic, Wife Of ‘Letterman’ Writer Was 78