Fox News chairman/CEO Roger Ailes referred to CNN’s Soledad O’Brien in a speech earlier this week to North Carolina journalism students as “that girl that’s named after a prison.” MediaIte, which reported Ailes’ remark, updated its report when O’Brien Tweeted a correction: “Um. I wasn’t named after a prison. Ailes is mistaken. I was named after the Virgin Mary.” O’Brien has addressed the issue before. Her name is Maria de la Soledad Teresa O’Brien. Her father chose the name Maria de la Soledad to honor the Blessed Virgin Mary of Solitude — which in Spanish is soledad.
CNN's Soledad O'Brien To Fox's Roger Ailes: 'I Was Named After The Virgin Mary'
What's Hot on Deadline
NBC Orders 'The Handmade Project' Crafts Competition Reality Series Hosted By Amy Poehler & Nick Offerman
Latest TV News
- BET Programming Shakeup: President Stephen Hill & EVP Zola Mashariki Exit
- ‘Time After Time’ Pulled From ABC Schedule After Five Episodes
- Jay R. Ferguson To Topline CBS Comedy Pilot ‘Living Biblically’
- ‘This Is Us’ Logs First No. 1 Total Viewers Finish For NBC Scripted Series In 13 Years, Becomes Season’s Top Drama In…
- Veteran LA Newsman Paul Magers To Retire From CBS 2
- ‘War And Peace’ Helmer Tom Harper To Direct ‘The Rocks’ For Entertainment One