Fox News chairman/CEO Roger Ailes referred to CNN’s Soledad O’Brien in a speech earlier this week to North Carolina journalism students as “that girl that’s named after a prison.” MediaIte, which reported Ailes’ remark, updated its report when O’Brien Tweeted a correction: “Um. I wasn’t named after a prison. Ailes is mistaken. I was named after the Virgin Mary.” O’Brien has addressed the issue before. Her name is Maria de la Soledad Teresa O’Brien. Her father chose the name Maria de la Soledad to honor the Blessed Virgin Mary of Solitude — which in Spanish is soledad.
CNN's Soledad O'Brien To Fox's Roger Ailes: 'I Was Named After The Virgin Mary'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest TV News
- ‘Mr. Robot’ DP Tod Campbell On His Visual Approach To Sam Esmail’s Dark, Off-Kilter World
- ‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Trailer Teases Trump’s Influence On New Season Of FX Anthology
- Sharon Levy Joins Endemol Shine North America As President Of Unscripted & Scripted Television
- ‘The Night Of’ Emmy Nominee Michael Kenneth Williams On Nephew’s Experience Of “Heavy World”…
- Riley Keough & Gina Gammell Launch Production Company Felix Culpa With Trio Of Book Deals
- Fox News Channel Dominates Cable News During Donald Trump’s Afghanistan Speech