Fox News chairman/CEO Roger Ailes referred to CNN’s Soledad O’Brien in a speech earlier this week to North Carolina journalism students as “that girl that’s named after a prison.” MediaIte, which reported Ailes’ remark, updated its report when O’Brien Tweeted a correction: “Um. I wasn’t named after a prison. Ailes is mistaken. I was named after the Virgin Mary.” O’Brien has addressed the issue before. Her name is Maria de la Soledad Teresa O’Brien. Her father chose the name Maria de la Soledad to honor the Blessed Virgin Mary of Solitude — which in Spanish is soledad.
CNN's Soledad O'Brien To Fox's Roger Ailes: 'I Was Named After The Virgin Mary'
What's Hot on Deadline
Divorce Comedy With Royal Family Twist From Meghan Markle's Ex-Husband Trevor Engelson Set At Fox With Big Commitment
Latest TV News
- The CW Developing Two Drama Projects From Greg Berlanti
- ‘Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders’ Review: NBC Series Lacks Juice
- Nielsen Suing ComScore Over “Extended TV” Offering
- Fox Nabs Culture Clash Comedy From Lee Daniels & ‘Modern Family’ EP As Put Pilot
- ‘Maya And The Bee’ Producer Apologizes For Penis Drawing In Episode
- ‘Happy!’: Debi Mazar & Michael Maize Set To Recur In Syfy Series