TiVo’s business model seems to be based on suing companies for selling DVRs that allegedly use its patented processes to do things that users take for granted such as watching one show while recording another. And today it challenged a formidable opponent: Time Warner Cable, which has 12M subs, is the No. 2 cable company and No 4 pay TV provider. TiVo’s attack comes in an amended counterclaim to its patent infringement suit against Motorola, which is being heard in a U.S. District Court in eastern Texas. It blames Time Warner Cable for providing its customers with Motorola’s DVRs. The cable company “engaged in objectively reckless conduct when they continued selling the infringing products in the face of an objectively high risk that they were infringing TiVo’s valid United States patents,” TiVo says. It has a perfect score so far in patent cases, reaching settlements with Dish Network, AT&T and Microsoft. TiVo has another suit outstanding against Verizon. B. Riley analyst Eric Wold says that while the counterclaim “could pressure (TiVo’s) litigation expenses, we believe it is well worth the investment given past success rates and settlement amounts.” TiVo wants a jury trial, and payments fro Motorola and Time Warner Cable for “compensatory damages.” The cable company won’t say yet what it thinks about the case, or how it will respond.
TiVo Says Time Warner Cable Infringed On Its DVR Patents
What's Hot on Deadline
'Justice League' Trailer: Wonder Woman Saves School Children, But Is Superman Still Alive? - Comic-Con
Sean Spicer Says Melissa McCarthy 'Saturday Night Live' Parody "Funny"; Sean Hannity Reminds Him It's Not
'Marvel's The Defenders' Stuns Fans With Debut Episode Screening & New Trailer For Netflix Series - Comic-Con
From ‘Fauda’s Assaf Bernstein On ‘Rose Madder' To ‘The Shining’ Onstage: What’s Behind Stephen King’s Hollywood Renaissance?
Latest TV News
- ‘The Flash’: Neil Sandilands To Play The Thinker; Danny Trejo & Kim Engelbrecht Also Cast – Comic-Con
- ‘Westworld’ Reveals Season 2 Trailer But Mainly Goes For Laughs In Packed Hall H – Comic-Con
- ‘Black Lightning’ Casts James Remar & Damon Gupton As Series Regulars, Watch Trailer – Comic-Con
- DC’s ‘Legends Of Tomorrow’ At Comic-Con: Neal McDonough Upped To Regular For Season 3, Arthur Darvill & Wentworth Miller Return…
- ‘Gotham’ Season 4 Trailer: Crystal Reed Cast As Sofia Falcone – Comic-Con
- ‘Supergirl’: Adrian Pasdar To Play DC Villain; Carl Lumbly, Yael Grobglas Cast In Season 3, Watch Trailer…