TiVo had a strange way of saying good-bye to its co-founder and Chief Technology Officer. Instead of issuing a press release with warm comments about the guy who helped to pioneer the DVR — and, perhaps, an explanation for why he’s leaving and who might replace him — the company dropped the news today in a cold SEC filing. It says that Barton resigned on Wednesday, effective today. It also outlined his new $25,000 a month consulting deal with TiVo. He will help with “patent matters, litigation, and certain technical matters” for three years “unless earlier terminated by either Mr. Barton or the company.” Responding to a call about the matter, Tivo sent along this comment from CEO Tom Rogers: “We are extremely grateful to Jim for his years of dedication and his commitment to innovation that he has provided to TiVo since its founding. We are pleased that he will remain on in an advisory capacity and look forward to working with him in this new capacity in the future.” The company says that Barton “is headed off to pursue his next ‘big idea’.” Barton was a top executive with Silicon Graphics when he teamed up in 1997 with a fellow exec there, Michael Ramsay, to create TiVo. They introduced their DVR at the 1999 Consumer Electronics Show.
TiVo Co-Founder Jim Barton Resigns
What's Hot on Deadline
Keaton Jones Facebook Video Gone After Mom's Confederate Flag Photos Surface: Is Hollywood Still "KeatonStrong"?
Golden Globes Nominations: 'The Shape Of Water' & 'The Post' Tops In Film, 'Big Little Lies' Leads TV
Latest TV News
- Steve Edwards Out At ‘Good Day LA’ After 20-Plus Years
- CNN Suspends Ryan Lizza After New Yorker Cuts Ties Over “Improper Sexual Conduct”
- Keaton Jones Facebook Video Gone After Mom’s Confederate Flag Photos Surface: Is Hollywood Still “KeatonStrong”?
- White House Dismisses Donald Trump Accusers As Sen. Gillibrand Demands Resignation
- ‘This Is Us’ Creator Dan Fogelman Teases Second Half Of Season 2: Aftermath Of Kevin’s DUI, Adoption…
- Kenya Barris/Alec Baldwin Family Comedy Gets Straight-To-Series Order By ABC