TiVo discloses the news in a brief SEC filing this morning. The agreement, reached yesterday, ends Microsoft’s suits in Northern California’s U.S. District Court against TiVo. The computer giant claimed that the DVRs violate Microsoft patents. Microsoft also dismissed its effort based on the same arguments to persuade the U.S. International Trade Commission to block TiVo from importing its DVRs manufactured overseas. And TiVo dropped its countersuits against Microsoft. “No patent rights were granted to Microsoft by TiVo,” the company says. But don’t be surprised if that’s the next step. In December the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office approved a patent for Microsoft to include a DVR in its Xbox gaming console, Japanese website Kotaku reported a few months ago. The new settlement appears to continue TiVo’s winning streak in defending its patents — which is now the cornerstone of its business plan based on licensing its user interface and features. In January AT&T agreed to license TiVo’s technology for at least $215M, ending TiVo’s patent infringement suit. That followed its precedent-setting victory last year over Dish Network, which agreed to pay $500M to settle.
TiVo And Microsoft Drop Patent Suits
What's Hot on Deadline
Robert Redford Sanguine About Donald Trump But "Depressed" About Partisan Politics At Sundance Opening Presser
'Split' Soars To Mid-$30M After Solid $2M Start; 'xXx,' $1.2M, 'Founder,' $105K In Previews As 'Hidden Figures' Stays Strong - Friday - UPDATE
Hollywood Reacts To Trump Inauguration: "Country Is Lost", Tweets Alec Baldwin; Scott Baio Proud To Be "Deplorable"
Paramount Gets China Infusion: $1 Billion, 3-Year Slate Co-Financing Deal With Shanghai Film Group & Huahua Media
Latest TV News
- ‘Girl Meets World’ Finale: Creator On Topanga’s Choice, New Network Search & Season 4
- Dan Sackheim Joins ‘Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan’ As Director & Executive Producer
- David Lynch Remembers Miguel Ferrer: “We Loved Working With Him”
- Donald Trump Treats Trump International Hotel Guests To First Look At First Family Walking Inaugural Parade Route
- Donald Trump Pays Tribute To Hillary Clinton During Inaugural Day Congressional Lunch
- Kinetic Content Ups Key Development Execs To EVP Roles