Bindlestiffs will be the first film released user the company’s “Kevin Smith’s SModcast Pictures Presents” banner. The deal for director Andrew Edison’s high school comedy includes U.S. and Canadian rights. Edison wrote the screenplay with Luke Loftin, and the two also produced and star in the film with Mike Akel and Matt Patterson. It centers on three smart-mouthed high school virgins who are suspended from school for graffiti and flee to the inner city to live out the plot of The Catcher In The Rye. Phase 4 will release the film in June in conjunction with a theatrical tour and Q&As with Smith and the filmmakers. The tour is part of a deal announced at this year’s Sundance Film Festival in which Smith and Phase 4 will exhibit and distribute up to 12 films per year under Smith’s SModcast label. Four titles will open theatrically with Smith doing a live tour in support of the films. Larry Greenberg of Phase 4 negotiated the deal with Katharyn Howe with WME Global and Caliber Media on behalf of the filmmakers. Phase 4 will open the film in June. Smith and Phase 4 will be at SXSW this weekend hunting for films for the label.
Phase 4 And Kevin Smith's SModcast Banner Take Rights To 'Bindlestiffs'
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Brooks
- 'Cantinflas' Sails Decently In Specialty Box Office Bow
- Specialty Box Office Preview: 'Cantinflas', 'Life Of Crime', 4 More
- Radius-TWC Surprises With 'The One I Love,' Providing Theatrical, VOD Box Office
- Specialty B.O. Preview: 'Love Is Strange', 'Are You Here', 'To Be Takei', 'Winter In The Blood', 'The Olivia Experiment'…
- Specialty Box Office Preview: 'The Trip To Italy', 'Frank', 'Jealousy', 'Life After Beth', 'Fort McCoy'