Downton Abbey has generated plenty of fans for PBS’ Masterpiece, which has rejuvenated the franchise with two stellar seasons and a Best Movie/Miniseries Emmy win last year. But PBS said today that the Masterpiece franchise has one really big fan: San Diego philanthropist Darlene Shiley is giving $1 million to the Masterpiece Trust, an initiative that launched last year to aid in funding after the series lost its main sponsor Exxon Mobil in 2004 (Masterpiece since has found a new sponsor). Shiley previously gave $250,000 to the cause. Season 3 of ITV’s Downton Abbey is shooting now, though it won’t appear on PBS in the U.S. until January 2013. The series about the lives of a wealthy family and the servants who work for them will compete in the Best Drama Series Emmy category this year.
PBS' 'Masterpiece' Nets $1M Donation
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Box Office: 'If I Stay' Best Of Lifeless Bunch As 'Sin City 2' Tanks, 'Game' Tries To Find Footing And 'Guardians' No. 1
More From Team
- Holliday Grainger Toplines 'Lady Chatterley's Lover' For BBC One; Levi Meadon Joins Syfy's 'Olympus'
- SAG-AFTRA Members Ratify TV/Theatrical Contract
- Hot TV Clip: 'The Unauthorized Saved By The Bell Story'
- Repped By SAG-AFTRA, KPCC Gets First Union Contract
- 'MythBusters' Chops Three To Take Show Back To Its Roots
- Alicia Witt Signs With Innovative Artists & The Schiff Company