Downton Abbey has generated plenty of fans for PBS’ Masterpiece, which has rejuvenated the franchise with two stellar seasons and a Best Movie/Miniseries Emmy win last year. But PBS said today that the Masterpiece franchise has one really big fan: San Diego philanthropist Darlene Shiley is giving $1 million to the Masterpiece Trust, an initiative that launched last year to aid in funding after the series lost its main sponsor Exxon Mobil in 2004 (Masterpiece since has found a new sponsor). Shiley previously gave $250,000 to the cause. Season 3 of ITV’s Downton Abbey is shooting now, though it won’t appear on PBS in the U.S. until January 2013. The series about the lives of a wealthy family and the servants who work for them will compete in the Best Drama Series Emmy category this year.
PBS' 'Masterpiece' Nets $1M Donation
Trending Now on Deadline
More From Team
- 'Here Comes Honey Boo Boo' Future In Question With Possible Sex Offender Connection
- Gotham Awards Nominees Announced: 'Boyhood' & 'Birdman' Lead Way
- Create Advertising Group Ups Carrie Gormley & Jonathan Gitlin
- Karen Pittman Joins 'The Americans'; Gloria Reuben In 'Mr. Robot'
- 'Below Deck' Renewed For Third Season By Bravo
- 'Shark Tank' Spinoff 'Beyond The Tank' Ordered At ABC