It looks like another speech from President Obama is behind the NFL‘s decision to move its regular-season opener between the Dallas Cowboys and Super Bowl champion New York Giants to a Wednesday this year — September 5. The next night, Obama is scheduled to speak at the Democratic National Convention. The league has held its opener on a Thursday night since 2002, but last year Obama’s jobs speech before a joint session of Congress on opening night forced some shuffling at NBC, which televises the game (the pregame show was shifted to the network’s sibling cable channels Versus, USA, Syfy and G4 as well as the NFL Network, and NBC joined the program in progress after the speech). This year’s kickoff, set for 8:30 PM ET at New York’s Metlife Stadium, will be the first Wednesday affair since 1948, the league says. It’s worth it for all involved to clear the way: last year’s Sunday Night Football telecast of the game between the rival Cowboys and Giants on Jan. 1 drew 27.6 million viewers (making it the most-watched regular-season primetime game in 15 years) and posted a 17.1 overnight rating, an SNF record. The past two season openers tallied 17.2 (in 2011) and 17.7 (in 2010) overnights.
NFL Season Gets Rare Wednesday Kickoff To Make Way For Obama Speech
What's Hot on Deadline
'Nashville' Creator Callie Khouri On Tragic Twist, Its Inevitability & Aftermath And Why Fans Should Keep Watching
Bloomberg Scrubs White House Correspondents' Dinner Party As Donald Trump Vows To "Do Something" About Press
Bill Maher Under Gun Over Late-'90s Video Condoning Sex Between 33-Year-Old Teacher And 12-Year-Old Student
Latest TV News
- WGA Members "Ready To Strike" After Round Of Pre-Contract Talks Meetings
- Pondering The Imponderable: How A Restructured Hollywood Would Deal With Striking Writers
- Univision Pulls Ads For Pulse Shooting Show Segment; Club Owner, Mothers, Victims, GLAAD Press Network To Stop ‘Blood Bath…
- Republican Congressman Darrell Issa’s ‘Real Time’ Surprise Call For Special Prosecutor Gains Traction
- ‘The Good Fight’ Adds Nyambi Nyambi As Recurring
- 'American Girl': Gwendoline Yeo To Star In Amazon's Special 'Ivy & Julie 1976: A Happy Balance'