This is sure to be generating some high-fives over at Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. In a nice marketing touch, the DVD for Columbia Pictures’ David Fincher-directed The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo that hit the street this week has been packaged to look like a burned (re: pirated) disc, complete with the felt-tip-pen scribbling of the title on what looks to be a label-less face. It’s a nod to Tattoo‘s computer-hacker lead character Lisbeth Salander, who is just the sort that would illegally download a copy of a Hollywood studio tentpole from BitTorrent (don’t try that at home, kids). The look is so effective it forced Redbox to put a disclaimer in its description of the movie on the film’s webpage: “NOTE TO RENTERS: The handwritten look on the disc of this movie is legitimate and is intended to look like a burned DVD.” The film, which garnered star Rooney Mara a Best Actress Oscar nomination and won the Oscar for Film Editing, has grossed $231.3 million worldwide since its December 21 release.
New 'Dragon Tattoo' DVD Is Real, Really
What's Hot on Deadline
'Gods Of Egypt': 'Selma' Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity - Update
Black Friday Box Office Explodes: Top 20 Pics +112% Over Thanksgiving; Katniss Eyes $74.4M 5-Day - Saturday AM Update
Two-Time Oscar Winner Jane Fonda Back In The Hunt For 'Youth' Three Decades After Her Last Nomination
Universal Lands Hot Novel 'The Girl Before'; Ron Howard To Direct, Brian Grazer & Michael De Luca To Produce
Pete Hammond's Notes On The Season: Eddie Redmayne Dines Out, Sly Stallone Trusts In Youth, And Leonardo Di Caprio Deserves The Medal Of Honor
'Person Of Interest' Gets 'The Mentalist' Treatment With 13-Episode Order; Will Season 5 Be Its Last?
Latest Film News
- ‘The Assassin’, ‘Carol’, ‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Top BFI Sight & Sound’s Best…
- Will DiCaprio, Depp Or Smith Nab Best Actor Oscar Or Does Redmayne Take It Again? — Awardsline
- ‘Gods Of Egypt’: ‘Selma’ Director Ava DuVernay Responds To Alex Proyas & Lionsgate Apology For Lack Of Diversity…
- ‘Steve Jobs’ Composer Daniel Pemberton: Video Of ‘Circle Of Machines’ Performance
- Deadline’s The Contenders: ‘Son Of Saul’ Director László Nemes & Star Géza Röhrig Discuss The Harrowing Cannes Winner’s Journey…
- What Is This ‘Project Delirium’ Jennifer Lawrence Wants To Direct?