EXCLUSIVE: Netflix, already in talks with 20th Century Fox TV about possibly picking up recently canceled Fox series Terra Nova, may also be eying another freshman drama facing cancellation: ABC’s The River. I’ve learned that the streaming giant has had conversations with The River producer ABC Studios about the possibility of continuing the thriller/horror series on Netflix. Sources stress that the talks are exploratory at this point in the context of a larger conversation between ABC Studios and Netflix. The River never got traction on ABC, finishing its midseason run with a 1.4 18-49 rating for its finale Tuesday. But it is the type of show — a heavily serialized genre series — that works well on streaming services like Netflix. The River‘s Live+7 ratings bump, 36% vs. Live+Same Day according to the most recent available data, is solid though not as high as that of Terra Nova (44%), which also was higher-rated overall. DVR ratings are indicative of how many viewers prefer to “stream” a show on their own timetable instead of watching it the night it airs. Unlike Terra Nova, The River has not been officially canceled by ABC, though that is considered a foregone conclusion. Also, since the series is produced by ABC’s own production arm, the network probably won’t stand in the way of a deal that would make money for its sister studio.
Netflix Eyes ABC Drama Series 'The River'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Alice' Sees $65M In Offshore Looking Glass; 'Warcraft' Scores $31.6M; 'X-Men' Cumes $186M - Intl Box Office
Moviegoers Turn Out For The 'Apocalypse' Over Memorial Day & Chop Off 'Alice's Head - Monday AM Update
'The Carmichael Show' Star On Tonight's Donald Trump Fueled Finale, Bill Cosby's Trial, Season 3 & "Big Picture" NBC
Latest TV News
- 'Roots' Review: Reimagined Slavery Epic Poignant In Era Of Black Lives Matter
- Deadline’s The Contenders Emmys Video: Aziz Ansari’s ‘Master Of None’ Takes Unconventional Path To Comedy…
- Snoop Dogg Urges Acolytes To Avoid ‘Roots’ As Reboot Is Set To Premiere
- ‘The Carmichael Show’ Ends Season Quietly On Low-Rated Holiday Sunday
- André Rousselet Dies: Canal Plus Founder & Mitterand Cabinet Director Was 93
- ‘Top Gear’ Averages 4.3 Million Viewers In Season Opener, Takes Social Media Hits