EXCLUSIVE: Netflix, already in talks with 20th Century Fox TV about possibly picking up recently canceled Fox series Terra Nova, may also be eying another freshman drama facing cancellation: ABC’s The River. I’ve learned that the streaming giant has had conversations with The River producer ABC Studios about the possibility of continuing the thriller/horror series on Netflix. Sources stress that the talks are exploratory at this point in the context of a larger conversation between ABC Studios and Netflix. The River never got traction on ABC, finishing its midseason run with a 1.4 18-49 rating for its finale Tuesday. But it is the type of show — a heavily serialized genre series — that works well on streaming services like Netflix. The River‘s Live+7 ratings bump, 36% vs. Live+Same Day according to the most recent available data, is solid though not as high as that of Terra Nova (44%), which also was higher-rated overall. DVR ratings are indicative of how many viewers prefer to “stream” a show on their own timetable instead of watching it the night it airs. Unlike Terra Nova, The River has not been officially canceled by ABC, though that is considered a foregone conclusion. Also, since the series is produced by ABC’s own production arm, the network probably won’t stand in the way of a deal that would make money for its sister studio.
Netflix Eyes ABC Drama Series 'The River'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Mr. Robot' Season 3 Finale Shocker: Sam Esmail On Tonight's Revelation, Surprise Guest & What's Next In Season 4
ABC Pulls 'The Great American Baking Show' & Axes Judge Johnny Iuzzini Amid Sexual Misconduct Allegations
Latest TV News
- Issa Rae Pitching Dystopian Sci-Fi Drama As Part of Diverse Writers’ Scheme
- ‘Mr. Robot’ Season 3 Finale Shocker: Sam Esmail On Tonight’s Revelation, Surprise Guest & What’s Next In…
- Robert Knepper Staying On ‘iZombie’ After Inquiry Into Sexual Misconduct Claims Found “No Evidence Of Wrongdoing”…
- ABC Pulls ‘The Great American Baking Show’ & Axes Judge Johnny Iuzzini Amid Sexual Misconduct Allegations
- ‘Jean-Claude Van Johnson’ Review: Muscles From Brussels Is Strong In Satire
- Donald Trump Wishes Omarosa “Continued Success” After She Exits White House Under Security Escort