EXCLUSIVE: Netflix, already in talks with 20th Century Fox TV about possibly picking up recently canceled Fox series Terra Nova, may also be eying another freshman drama facing cancellation: ABC’s The River. I’ve learned that the streaming giant has had conversations with The River producer ABC Studios about the possibility of continuing the thriller/horror series on Netflix. Sources stress that the talks are exploratory at this point in the context of a larger conversation between ABC Studios and Netflix. The River never got traction on ABC, finishing its midseason run with a 1.4 18-49 rating for its finale Tuesday. But it is the type of show — a heavily serialized genre series — that works well on streaming services like Netflix. The River‘s Live+7 ratings bump, 36% vs. Live+Same Day according to the most recent available data, is solid though not as high as that of Terra Nova (44%), which also was higher-rated overall. DVR ratings are indicative of how many viewers prefer to “stream” a show on their own timetable instead of watching it the night it airs. Unlike Terra Nova, The River has not been officially canceled by ABC, though that is considered a foregone conclusion. Also, since the series is produced by ABC’s own production arm, the network probably won’t stand in the way of a deal that would make money for its sister studio.
Netflix Eyes ABC Drama Series 'The River'
What's Hot on Deadline
'True Lies' Stuntman Joel Kramer Dropped By Talent Agency After Eliza Dushku Accused Him Of Sexual Assault
Two More Sexual Misconduct Allegations Against Stunt Coordinator Joel Kramer Include One Involving 10th Grade Girl
Eliza Dushku's Former Agent & A Friend Confirm Her Sexual Assault Story On 'True Lies' Set: "Nobody Really Did Anything"
Aziz Ansari Allegations Open New Chapter in #MeToo Movement, Ansari Responds "I Took Her Words to Heart"
Eliza Dushku's 'True Lies' Legal Guardian Backs Actress' Sexual Assault Claims, Calls Joel Kramer "Pedophile" - Update
Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams "Reprehensible Smokescreen" - Update
Eliza Dushku Accuses 'True Lies' Stunt Coordinator Of Sexual Assault; Mother, Brother Support - Update
Latest TV News
- New York Film & TV Workers Protest During MLK Day With Rev. Al Sharpton & Top Empire State Pols
- ‘Girlfriends’ Phyllis Logan, Miranda Richardson Discuss Industry Ageism – Or Not – TCA
- Leah Remini Hints Scientology Behind Paul Haggis Claims; Church Slams “Reprehensible Smokescreen” – Update
- How To Reach Young Millennials? The Studios & TV Networks Can Find 47M Of Them On Snapchat – TCA
- Undaunted By Syndication Slump, NATPE Boosts International, Reality, Local TV
- Comedy Central Boss On Future Of ‘The Opposition With Jordan Klepper’ & ‘The President Show’