Michael Clarke Duncan and S. Epatha Merkerson have signed on for director-writer-director Kent Moran’s upcoming boxing drama The Challenger. The film centers on a struggling Bronx auto mechanic (Moran) who is forced back into boxing after he and his mother are evicted from their home and is helped by a legendary trainer (Duncan). Justin Hartley (Smallville), Ernie Sabella (The Lion King) and Lindsay Hartley (All My Children) will round out the cast. Moran’s production company, Wishing Well Pictures, will wholly produce Challenger, which began filming this month in New York City. Duncan, an Oscar nommed for his role in The Green Mile opposite Tom Hanks, currently appears in Fox’s crime drama The Finder. Merkerson received multiple awards for her role as Rachel “Nanny” Crosby in the 2006 HBO miniseries Lackawanna Blues. APA reps Duncan.
Michael Clarke Duncan, S. Epatha Merkerson & Justin Hartley Take On 'The Challenger'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Dunkirk' Takes Box Office By Storm With $55.4M No. 1 Spot For $105M+ Global Opening; 'Valerian' $23.5M Start - Int'l Box Office
'Dunkirk' Takes Warner Bros Past $1B; 'Girls Trip' Record Opening For Malcolm D. Lee; Reasons Why 'Valerian' Crashed
Latest Film News
- Hasbro Shares Hit After Hollywood-Related Toy Sales Disappoint In Q2 Report
- Venice Critics’ Week Lineup Revealed; UK Debut ‘Pin Cushion’ To Open Section
- How Warner Bros Beat The Period-Film Curse At The B.O. & Positioned ‘Dunkirk’ As A Summer Tentpole
- Where Are Next ‘Game Of Thrones’ & ‘Ready Player One’? Future Franchise Candidates
- 'Landline' Dials In With Top Number; 'The Beguiled' Crosses $10M – Specialty Box Office
- ‘Dunkirk’ Takes Box Office By Storm With $55.4M No. 1 Spot For $105M+ Global Opening; ‘Valerian’ $23.5M Start – Int’l…