Michael Clarke Duncan and S. Epatha Merkerson have signed on for director-writer-director Kent Moran’s upcoming boxing drama The Challenger. The film centers on a struggling Bronx auto mechanic (Moran) who is forced back into boxing after he and his mother are evicted from their home and is helped by a legendary trainer (Duncan). Justin Hartley (Smallville), Ernie Sabella (The Lion King) and Lindsay Hartley (All My Children) will round out the cast. Moran’s production company, Wishing Well Pictures, will wholly produce Challenger, which began filming this month in New York City. Duncan, an Oscar nommed for his role in The Green Mile opposite Tom Hanks, currently appears in Fox’s crime drama The Finder. Merkerson received multiple awards for her role as Rachel “Nanny” Crosby in the 2006 HBO miniseries Lackawanna Blues. APA reps Duncan.
Michael Clarke Duncan, S. Epatha Merkerson & Justin Hartley Take On 'The Challenger'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Kung Fu Panda 3' Rules Soft Super Bowl Weekend; Auds Give $11M & Thumb Down 'Caesar' - Saturday AM Update
'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' Reaches Unprecedented Height At Domestic B.O. With $900M, $2B Worldwide
Paramount Lands 'Conquest;' Plan To Re-Team 'The Revenant's Leonardo DiCaprio And Scribe Mark L. Smith
Latest Film News
- Paramount Lands ‘Conquest;’ Plan To Re-Team ‘The Revenant’s Leonardo DiCaprio And Scribe Mark L. Smith
- ‘Kung Fu Panda 3’ Rules Soft Super Bowl Weekend; Auds Give $11M & Thumb Down ‘Caesar’ – Saturday AM…
- Diversity Debate Underscores 2016 NAACP Image Awards As Oscar Snubs Win Big
- The 2016 NAACP Image Awards Winners: ‘Creed’, ‘Black-Ish’ Clean Up While ‘Compton’ Wins Best…
- Pete Hammond’s Notes On The Season: Campaigns Turn Serious In The Race That Is TOO CLOSE TO CALL
- Ed Helms, Amanda Seyfried Lead Cast Of Comedy ‘The Clapper’