The bidding group is the last one standing after many Dodgers suitors came and went during the monthslong process, and the $2 billion deal is the richest ever for a U.S. sports franchise. The new owners — who emerged after three groups participated in a U.S. Bankruptcy Court auction today — are grouped under the banner Guggenheim Baseball Management. That mix includes Magic Johnson, Hollywood producer Peter Guber, baseball executive Stan Kasten and Bobby Patton as well as Todd Boehly and Mark Walter of Guggenheim Partners — that company co-owns Prometheus Global Media, which owns Billboard and The Hollywood Reporter. Walter will be controlling partner of the Dodgers when the deal closes at the end of April. The agreement with soon-to-be-ex-owner Frank McCourt is for the team and Dodger Stadium, and a separate joint venture with some members of the group — including McCourt — will buy the parking lots and property for an extra $150 million. That $2.15B total could be eclipsed by the local TV rights deal that’s sure to come after the sale is approved — the team could create its own regional sports network (a la the New York Yankees’ lucrative YES Network), shop the rights, or re-sign with current partner Fox Sports, which already had offered a long-term deal worth close to $3 billion.
Magic Johnson's Group Wins Bidding To Buy Dodgers For Record $2B
What's Hot on Deadline
Bernie Sanders: Obama Administration "Should Kill" The AT&T-Time Warner Deal: "Higher Prices & Fewer Choices"
'Jack Reacher' Cuffs $31M But 'Mechanic' Puts Wrench Into China Perf; 'Girl', 'Inferno', 'Peregrine' Advance - Intl Box Office
Latest TV News
- ABC Nabs Family Comedy Starring Rev Run & Justine Simmons With Big Commitment
- ‘Penn & Teller: Fool Us’, ‘Whose Line Is It Anyway?’ & ‘Masters Of Illusion’ Renewed For Summer On The…
- Viacom Labs Sets First Livestream-To-TV Series For 2017
- ‘Weaveworld’: Josh Stolberg To Write New CW Adaptation Of Clive Barker’s Book
- Thomas Haden Church Signs With CAA
- ‘Being Mary Jane’ Adds Valarie Pettiford, Ashton Holmes & Chiké Okonkwo