The Olympic Games don’t begin until July 27, but the Brits are planning cultural events early to capitalize on a summer that will see the UK flooded with tourists. Along with the release of a re-mastered Chariots Of Fire, organizers have added details for the London 2012 Festival, a UK-wide cultural celebration from June 21-September 9. BAFTA winning Senna director Asif Kapadia has been commissioned to make a short film as part of an initiative run by BBC Films and Film4. Kapadia’s The Odyssey joins Mike Leigh’s A Running Jump starring Eddie Marsan; Lynne Ramsay’s The Swimmer and What If, directed by Streetdance’s Max Giwa and Dania Pasquini. The four films will premiere at the Edinburgh International Film Festival on June 24 and in London the next day with a live simulcast to 50 theaters across the UK in partnership with Picturehouse. As part of the London 2012 program, the BFI will also present restored versions of Alfred Hitchcock’s early silent British films. Meanwhile, BBC 2 will air Shakespeare plays starring Jeremy Irons, Ben Wishaw, Tom Hiddleston, Patrick Stewart, David Suchet, David Morrissey, Julie Walters and John Hurt, among others. Music and dance events and other visual arts presentations will run throughout the fest.
London 2012 Fest Commissions New Film From 'Senna' Director Asif Kapadia
What's Hot on Deadline
'Coco' Now Higher With $74M+ Thanks To A+ CinemaScore; 'Justice League' At $61M+; 'Wonder' Wows At $32M+: Friday AM Update
'Thursday Night Football' Ratings Down From Thanksgiving 2016, Macy's Parade Steady, 'Young Sheldon' Up
Uma Thurman To Harvey Weinstein: "I'm Glad It's Going Slowly, You Don't Deserve A Bullet... Stay Tuned"
'Man Who Invented Christmas' Review: Dan Stevens & Christopher Plummer Turn Scrooge Origin Tale Into A Holiday Treat
Latest Film News
- Kumail Nanjiani On How A Pitch To Judd Apatow About A Ghost Witch Movie Begat ‘The Big Sick’ – The…
- Exhibition Stocks Rise In Short Trading Session On Holiday Box Office Optimism
- ‘Arthur Miller: Writer’ Helmer Rebecca Miller Discusses Her Doc Portrait Of Father Arthur Miller
- Denis Villeneuve On His Love Of Sci-Fi, Working With Ridley Scott On ‘Blade Runner 2049’ & Revisiting ‘Dune’ – Behind…
- Denzel Washington & Dan Gilroy On Why ‘Roman J. Israel, Esq’ Never Left The ’60s Behind – The…
- ‘Loveless’ Director Andrey Zvyagintsev On Filmmaking In Modern-Day Russia