EXCLUSIVE: Crazy speculation that Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games could gross $125 million its opening 3-day weekend beginning this Friday is more and more looking like reality. Even inside-the-studio estimates have cautiously been raised from $75M to $95+M. Already, the hotly anticipated film has pre-sold over a whopping 1 million tickets on big online sellers Fandango and Movietickets.com combined. Yesterday, the pic sold 83,000 tickets alone on Fandango. This movie based on the bestselling trilogy of novels by Suzanne Collins has turned Twilight-like huge for Lionsgate which was badly in need of a franchise. But unlike Twilight which attracted predominantly a female audience, The Hunger Games could attract younger males as well as younger and older females. Exactly how much the studio can gross for the first weekend depends on how many screenings each theater can pack into 72 hours by finding enough staff willing to work the extra hours and keep the pic running continuously. Tracking continues to amaze Hollywood which knows a blockbuster like this is great for the industry.
'Hunger Games' Pre-Sells Over 1M Tickets
What's Hot on Deadline
Barcelona Terrorist Attack: 12 Confirmed Dead, 80+ Hurt After Van Rams Crowd; Two Suspects Arrested - Update
After Horrific Summer At Box Office, 'It' Will Bring Life To Fall Marketplace With Potential $60M Opening
'Suits' Spinoff Starring Gina Torres To Be Introduced In 'Suits' Season 7 Finale, Will Be About Chicago Politics
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Girls Trip’ Speeds Past $100M; A Box Office Anomaly In Unfunny Year For Comedy
- After Horrific Summer At Box Office, ‘It’ Will Bring Life To Fall Marketplace With Potential $60M Opening
- ‘Hamilton’ Review: L.A Version Lives Up To Hip-Hop Hype While Challenging Status Quo
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Brings #Ham4Ham Live Performance For ‘Hamilton’ Opening Night In L.A.
- L.A. Film Czar Ken Ziffren Says Premium VOD For Studios Still In Limbo
- ‘Tulip Fever’ Release Date Shifts Into September