EXCLUSIVE: Crazy speculation that Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games could gross $125 million its opening 3-day weekend beginning this Friday is more and more looking like reality. Even inside-the-studio estimates have cautiously been raised from $75M to $95+M. Already, the hotly anticipated film has pre-sold over a whopping 1 million tickets on big online sellers Fandango and Movietickets.com combined. Yesterday, the pic sold 83,000 tickets alone on Fandango. This movie based on the bestselling trilogy of novels by Suzanne Collins has turned Twilight-like huge for Lionsgate which was badly in need of a franchise. But unlike Twilight which attracted predominantly a female audience, The Hunger Games could attract younger males as well as younger and older females. Exactly how much the studio can gross for the first weekend depends on how many screenings each theater can pack into 72 hours by finding enough staff willing to work the extra hours and keep the pic running continuously. Tracking continues to amaze Hollywood which knows a blockbuster like this is great for the industry.
'Hunger Games' Pre-Sells Over 1M Tickets
What's Hot on Deadline
'Pretty Little Liars' Series Finale & Aftershow: "A.D." Mystery Solved; Cast Would Say Yes To Reunion - Update
'Hello Again' Trailer: Rumer Willis, T.R. Knight, Martha Plimpton And Audra McDonald In A Rondelay Of Passion
'This Is Us': Alexandra Breckenridge, & Jon Huertas Upped To Series Regulars For Season 2 Of NBC Drama
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Baby Driver’ Cruising Toward $5M+ Opening Day – Box Office Update
- Elvis Presley Prequel ‘Heartbreak Hotel’ Is Broadway Bound. Or Not.
- Mercedes Ruehl Joins Harvey Fierstein’s ‘Torch Song’ Revival
- Luc Besson’s EuropaCorp Reports $136M Loss; Will Re-Focus On Action, Sci-Fi
- ‘Despicable Me 3’ To Own Crowded Independence Day Weekend – Box Office Preview
- Hollywood Auditing China Box Office In First Look At Middle Kingdom Books