EXCLUSIVE: Crazy speculation that Lionsgate’s The Hunger Games could gross $125 million its opening 3-day weekend beginning this Friday is more and more looking like reality. Even inside-the-studio estimates have cautiously been raised from $75M to $95+M. Already, the hotly anticipated film has pre-sold over a whopping 1 million tickets on big online sellers Fandango and Movietickets.com combined. Yesterday, the pic sold 83,000 tickets alone on Fandango. This movie based on the bestselling trilogy of novels by Suzanne Collins has turned Twilight-like huge for Lionsgate which was badly in need of a franchise. But unlike Twilight which attracted predominantly a female audience, The Hunger Games could attract younger males as well as younger and older females. Exactly how much the studio can gross for the first weekend depends on how many screenings each theater can pack into 72 hours by finding enough staff willing to work the extra hours and keep the pic running continuously. Tracking continues to amaze Hollywood which knows a blockbuster like this is great for the industry.
'Hunger Games' Pre-Sells Over 1M Tickets
What's Hot on Deadline
'The Brothers Grimsby': Trailer Or Titillating Clip "Shown" On 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' – Which Works Better?
Four Studios Bidding On 'Gone Girl' Author Gillian Flynn's Short Story 'The Grownup': Hot Package Du Jour
CBS Order For Matt Nix Drama Scrapped When Co-Production Deal Falls Through As Ownership Rules Pilot Season 2016
Latest Box Office News
- Michael Moore Sidelined As ‘Where To Invade Next’ Opens – Specialty Preview
- ‘Deadpool’ Very Much Alive In $12M Overseas Open; $80M Intl Weekend Ahead?
- Scott Rudin & Aaron Sorkin Will Bring ‘To Kill A Mockingbird’ To Broadway
- Disney Theatricals Sets Broadway Timeline For Fresh ‘Frozen’ Musical In 2018
- ‘Deadpool’ To Rule Holiday Weekend, But Women Have Eyes For ‘Zoolander 2’ & ‘How To Be Single…
- Warner Bros. Moves ‘Ready Player One’ Out Of 2017 & Away From Next ‘Star Wars’