EXCLUSIVE: I’ve just learned that The Hunger Games will receive the largest release in the history of Lionsgate with an opening weekend North American count of 4,137 locations. The studio will have just under 10,000 prints playing throughout the U.S. and Canada starting Friday, and that number keeps going up daily. Right now, that only puts The Hunger Games at #12 on the all-time list of widest openings at the box office. No. 1 is June 2010’s The Twilight Saga: Eclipse which released into 4,468 theaters. More than 75% of the prints are in digital, with 268 IMAX theatres across North America playing the hotly anticipated pic. Online pre-sales of tickets continue to amaze, and business for Friday 12:01 AM midnight shows is expected to be phenomenal. Exactly how much the studio can gross for the first weekend depends on how many screenings each theater can pack into 72 hours by finding enough staff willing to work the extra hours and keep the pic running continuously. The pic also opens worldwide day-and-date except for a handful of markets (which include Spain, Italy, South Africa, Japan, South Korea, Venezuela) on an estimated 7,700 prints.
'Hunger Games' Opening In 4,137 Theaters
What's Hot on Deadline
Oprah Winfrey Answers Call & Joins Clooneys, Katzenbergs, Spielberg And Capshaw In Donating $500,000 To March For Our Lives: Who's Next?
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Black Panther’ To Pounce Past $500M WW Box Office Today
- Saudi Arabia To Invest $64 Billion In Entertainment Sector
- China’s Wild New Year: ‘Detective Chinatown 2’ Crosses $300M, Eclipses ‘Monster Hunt 2’; ‘Operation Red Sea…
- ‘The Commuter’ Rides Past $100M At Worldwide Box Office
- Theater Licenser MTI Elevates Drew Cohen To Global CEO
- Three Times A Roar: ‘Jurassic World 3’ To Leave Huge Footprint In June 2021; ‘Pacific Rim Uprising’s Emily Carmichael To…