Wildly successful in France, The Intouchables is set to open in the U.S. on May 25, courtesy of The Weinstein Co. The film is based on a true story of a man who was left a quadriplegic after a paragliding accident, which transformed him from an aristocratic business and social leader into a helpless, tragic figure. With the help of an unlikely caregiver — an unemployed, hot-headed and uninhibited Algerian immigrant who turned out to be as lonely and lost as his employer — Philippe was able to return to the world of the living. The film gained renewed notoriety recently when ultra right-wing French politician Jean Marie Le Pen condemned it for shining a positive light on France’s immigrant community. That drew a sharp rebuke from TWC’s Harvey Weinstein.
Hot Trailer: 'The Intouchables'
What's Hot on Deadline
Moviegoers Turn Out For The 'Apocalypse' Over Memorial Day & Chop Off 'Alice's Head - Sunday AM Update
'Alice' Sees $65M In Offshore Looking Glass; 'Warcraft' Scores $31.6M; 'X-Men' Cumes $186M - Intl Box Office
Sequel To Cult Sci-Fi Pic 'The Man From Earth' A Go With Vanessa Williams, Sterling Knight Among Cast
Latest Film News
- ‘Alice’ Sees $65M In Offshore Looking Glass; ‘Warcraft’ Scores $31.6M; ‘X-Men’ Cumes $186M – Intl…
- Holdovers 'Weiner,' 'Love & Friendship' & 'The Lobster' Strong: Specialty Box Office
- Sam Mendes: “I Think It's Time For Somebody Else” To Direct Bond
- Dwayne Johnson Teases Furious Future With First In-Character Pic From ‘Fast 8’
- Jeff Bridges Infiltrates ‘Kingsman: The Golden Circle’
- ‘Equals’ Director Drake Doremus On Film’s Love Story, Locations & Audience Response