Apple-mania will fade at some point. But not yet. The company’s stock was up 2.7% today to close at $601.10 — its highest closing price ever, and up 81.8% over the last 12 months. Much of today’s bump can be attributed to the announcement this morning that the company will spend $45B over the next three years paying dividends and repurchasing its stock. But Wall Street may send Apple shares even higher tomorrow following the company’s announcement, after the closing bell, that it sold 3M of the new iPads on their first weekend on the shelves. That’s “the strongest iPad launch yet,” says SVP of Worldwide Marketing Philip Schiller. Indeed, it’s three times more than the iPad 2 sold in its opening weekend last year. The momentum could continue next weekend as the company introduces the revamped tablet computer to 24 additional countries including Austria, Greece, Italy, Mexico, Poland, Spain, and Sweden. The only hitch for Apple? It’s making a smaller profit on the new iPad: It costs $364.35 to make the new model with 32 GB of memory and 4G connectivity that sells for $729, research firm iSuppli says. The model of the iPad 2 with the same amount of memory and 3G connectivity cost $335 to make.
Apple Shares Crack $600 As Initial iPad Sales Pass 3M
What's Hot on Deadline
Family-Branded Films On Fire: 'Beauty And The Beast' Headed To $90M+; 'Power Rangers' Mighty With $40M+
'Westworld' Team On The Series' Super-Engaged Fan Base, Music Hints & Being Part Of The Solution - PaleyFest
'Beauty And The Beast' Nears $700M WW; 'Kong' Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Nears $700M WW; ‘Kong’ Has Mighty $72M China Bow, Tops $250M Offshore – International…
- Family-Branded Films On Fire: ‘Beauty And The Beast’ Headed To $90M+; ‘Power Rangers’ Mighty…
- Jazz Doc 'I Called Him Morgan' Hits Solid Note; 'Wilson' Walks Slow – Specialty B.O.
- ‘Sing’ Gives Voice To $600M At Worldwide Box Office
- Dan Aykroyd, Griffin Dunne Remember Carrie & Debbie, “Beloved Showboats”
- Watch Public Memorial For Debbie Reynolds & Carrie Fisher Livestreamed Here – Update