EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures and producer Scott Rudin have snapped up remake rights to Brooklyn Castle, the documentary that premiered at SXSW yesterday. The film, which got a rousing response after its Sunday bow, is about I.S. 318, an inner-city school where more than 65% of students are from homes with incomes below the federal poverty level. It also happens to have the winningest junior high school chess team in the country. While chess has transformed the school from one cited in 2003 as a “school in need of improvement” to one of New York City’s best, public school budget cuts put the program and its accomplishments in jeopardy. The remake deal was made by Cinetic Media, which is also shopping distribution rights on the film. Rudin also previously produced the chess-themed Searching For Bobby Fischer, which Steve Zaillian wrote and directed.
Sony Pictures, Scott Rudin Acquire Remake Rights To Doc 'Brooklyn Castle': SXSW
What's Hot on Deadline
'Tomorrowland' Nosing Out 'Pitch Perfect' For No. 1; 'Mad Max' Holds Strong; 'Ultron' To Cross $400M - Box Office Saturday
Hot Cannes 'Circle' Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In 'Assassin's Creed', New 'Bourne' Film
TLC "Deeply Saddened" As It Pulls All Episodes of '19 Kids And Counting' In Wake Of Child Molestation Allegations - Update
'Jurassic World' Tracking Like 'Man Of Steel' - But How Many $100M+ Openings After That In Summer 2015?
Latest Film News
- ‘Tomorrowland’ Nosing Out ‘Pitch Perfect’ For No. 1; ‘Mad Max’ Holds Strong; ‘Ultron’ To Cross $400M – Box…
- How Director Rick Famuyiwa Grew ‘Dope’ – Cannes Q&A
- Michael Fassbender In ‘Macbeth': A Pair Of Clips From Cannes
- Un Certain Regard Winners: ‘Rams’, ‘The High Sun’, ‘Treasure’ & More – Cannes
- ‘Son Of Saul’ Wins FIPRESCI; Ecumenical Jury Honors ‘Mia Madre’ – Cannes
- Hot Cannes ‘Circle’ Package Imperiled As Alicia Vikander In Talks To Star In ‘Assassin’s Creed’, New ‘Bourne…