Woody Allen is adapting the original screenplay he co-wrote with Douglas McGrath for the 1994 film Bullets Over Broadway as a musical and will take it to Broadway in 2013. The New York Times reports that Julian Schlossberg and Allen’s sister and Midnight In Paris producer Letty Aronson will produce the stage version, for which Allen is writing the book. It will feature existing music from the Prohibition-era 1920s in which the film is set. Dianne Weist won a Supporting Actress Academy Award for her work in the film, which centered on a young playwright (John Cusack) who is forced to cast the girlfriend (Jennifer Tilly) of a mobster in order to mount the production. The film was nominated for seven Oscars, including for Allen’s script. Schlossberg and Aronson also produced Allen’s Relatively Speaking, a group of one-act plays that played Broadway last year. Allen’s Midnight In Paris is up for four Oscars on Sunday.
Woody Allen's 'Bullets Over Broadway' Headed To … Broadway
For all of Deadline’s headlines, follow us @Deadline on Twitter
Sign up for Newsletters
Trending Now on Deadline
Netflix Nabs Judd Apatow Comedy Series With 2-Season Order; Paul Rust & Gillian Jacobs To Star, Legendary TV To Produce
More From Team
- Publishing: Joan Rivers Biography Planned For 2016
- Ben Kingsley, Brie Larson Head For 'Brooklyn Bridge'; Revolver Takes 'Bhopal' Disaster Drama
- Fox Writers Intensive Accepting Nominations
- GSN Orders 'Baggage' Spinoff; Jerry Springer To Return As Host
- Mark Feuerstein Joins Showtime's 'Nurse Jackie'; Nick Clifford In VH1's 'Hindsight'
- Rosie's Return Snares Big Ratings For 'The View'