BREAKING… Huge online movie ticket seller Fandango Wednesday began advance sales for Lionsgate’s upcoming thriller The Hunger Games. And already it’s exclipsing Twilight Saga: Eclipse as Fandango’s biggest first day advance ticket-seller in its 12-year company history. Hundreds of Hunger showtimes are already sold out for the March 23 opening. Even though the film doesn’t open for another month, the first-day ticket sales yesterday broke the previous first day advance ticket-seller record held by Eclipse on May 14, 2010. “The Hunger Games is off to a fantastic start,” Rick Butler, EVP/General Manager of Fandango said in today’s statement. “Yesterday we saw the biggest first day advance ticketing sales in our company’s nearly 12-year history – which is especially impressive for a March release and a non-sequel.” Fandango says theater owners are continuing to add new showtimes. Looks like Lionsgate has a humongous hit on its hands, although the box office could always prove frontloaded because of the advance ticket sales.
'The Hunger Games' Doing 'Twilight' Saga-Big Online Advance Ticket Sales
What's Hot on Deadline
Emma Stone On 'La La Land' & 'Moonlight' Best Picture Snafu: "I Was Holding The Best Actress Card The Entire Time"
Latest Box Office News
- ‘Resident Evil’ Rocks China With Record $94.3M Debut – International Box Office
- Oscar Nominee 'My Life As a Zucchini' Opens Solid; Spirit Winner 'Moonlight' Over $22M – Specialty Box Office
- Universal/Blumhouse’s ‘Get Out’ Now Grabbing A $30M+ Opening: Sunday Postmortem
- ‘Resident Evil: The Final Chapter’ Grosses Massive $70M In Two Days, $33M First Day In China
- ‘Fifty Shades Darker’ Whips Past $300M At Worldwide Box Office
- Amy Adams’ ‘Arrival’ Flies Past $100M; 3rd Oscar Best Picture Nominee To Hit Mark