Sundance Selects is planning a summer theatrical release for first-time director Alison Klayman’s documentary Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry to correspond with the the famed artist/dissident’s first trip outside China since his detention there. Klayman had unprecedented access to Ai while working as a journalist in the country, and the film trains an eye on contemporary China and one of its most compelling public figures. The documentary won a Sundance Special Jury Prize and most recently appeared in the Berlinale Special lineup in Berlin. The deal was negotiated by Arianna Bocco, SVP Acquisitions & Productions for Sundance Selects/IFC Films with John Sloss and Dana O’Keefe of Cinetic Media and Victoria Cook of Frankfurt Kurnit Klein + Selz on behalf of the filmmakers and United Expression Media.
Sundance Selects Acquires Doc 'Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- Michael Massee Dies: Actor Involved In Tragic ‘The Crow’ Accident Was 61
- Well Go USA Acquires Rami Malek Thriller ‘Buster’s Mal Heart’
- ‘Fantasic Beasts’ Gets China Release Date
- Kevin Hart In Talks To Play Santa For Disney
- ‘Twilight’ Actor Edi Gathegi To Star In ‘The SHU’; ‘Escobar’ Adds Julieth Restrepo
- MGM Buys Chiara Atik Spec Script ‘Fairy Godmother’