Sundance Selects is planning a summer theatrical release for first-time director Alison Klayman’s documentary Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry to correspond with the the famed artist/dissident’s first trip outside China since his detention there. Klayman had unprecedented access to Ai while working as a journalist in the country, and the film trains an eye on contemporary China and one of its most compelling public figures. The documentary won a Sundance Special Jury Prize and most recently appeared in the Berlinale Special lineup in Berlin. The deal was negotiated by Arianna Bocco, SVP Acquisitions & Productions for Sundance Selects/IFC Films with John Sloss and Dana O’Keefe of Cinetic Media and Victoria Cook of Frankfurt Kurnit Klein + Selz on behalf of the filmmakers and United Expression Media.
Sundance Selects Acquires Doc 'Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry'
What's Hot on Deadline
Latest Film News
- California Film & TV Incentives Boosted Below-The-Line Wages By $1.4 Billion
- ‘Moonlight’ Writer Tarell Alvin McCraney & David Oyelowo Join Forces On New Disney Musical ‘Cyrano The Moor…
- Women In Entertainment & ArcLight Santa Monica Line Up Female-Led Documentary Series
- Warner Bros India Preps ‘Infernal Affairs’ Remake With Azure Entertainment
- Voltage Bests Director In Battle Over Mel Gibson’s ‘The Professor & The Madman’
- ‘Maze Runner: The Death Cure’ Trailer: The Gladers Have One Last Life-Threatening Labyrinth Adventure