Sundance Selects is planning a summer theatrical release for first-time director Alison Klayman’s documentary Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry to correspond with the the famed artist/dissident’s first trip outside China since his detention there. Klayman had unprecedented access to Ai while working as a journalist in the country, and the film trains an eye on contemporary China and one of its most compelling public figures. The documentary won a Sundance Special Jury Prize and most recently appeared in the Berlinale Special lineup in Berlin. The deal was negotiated by Arianna Bocco, SVP Acquisitions & Productions for Sundance Selects/IFC Films with John Sloss and Dana O’Keefe of Cinetic Media and Victoria Cook of Frankfurt Kurnit Klein + Selz on behalf of the filmmakers and United Expression Media.
Sundance Selects Acquires Doc 'Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry'
What's Hot on Deadline
More From Team
- Focus World Cuffs ‘Cop Car'; ARC Bites ‘Walking Deceased'; Cinedigm Inks With Brand Inc
- Paul Scheer Heads To ‘Daddy’s Home’, Joins Brian Huskey In Musical ‘One Shot’
- Location Managers Guild Scouts Out Awards Nominations
- Chazz Palminteri Plans Stage Return In ‘Breaking Bobby Stone’
- Oscars: Margot Robbie & Miles Teller To Host Sci-Tech Awards
- Biz Strategist Victor Antonio Helps Families In Financial Crisis In New Spike TV Series