Summit Entertainment announced today that it will premiere Alex Cross wide on October 26, 2012, joining Dimension’s Halloween 3D and Fox’s surfing pic Of Men And Mavericks on that date. The adaptation of the James Patterson novel stars Tyler Perry as the detective/psychologist protagonist who meets his match in a serial killer (Matthew Fox) who viciously murders Cross’ wife when Cross thwarts his earlier attempt to commit a murder. The drama becomes a mano a mano battle between cop and the killer who is one of the most memorable villains in Patterson’s novels. Perry’s casting has created quite a stir among the books’ fans, some of whom question whether he has the dramatic chops to pull off a dramatic role like Cross — especially based on his prior work on the comedy side in his Madea movies. Plus, he has to fill the shoes of Morgan Freeman, who played Cross in two previous Patterson adaptations. Rob Cohen directed Alex Cross, and Edward Burns, Rachel Nichols and Jean Reno co-star. Summit nabbed distribution rights to the franchise reboot last year, beating out among other bidders Lionsgate, which has a longstanding relationship with Perry and bought Summit last month.
Summit Sets Release Date For 'Alex Cross'
What's Hot on Deadline
Warner Bros Wins Visionary Viral Short 'Sundays' Auction; You Gotta See What $51,000 Can Look Like Onscreen
Latest Film News
- WWE, Gene Simmons Tag-Team To Launch Horror Label
- Matthew McConaughey Has Taste For ‘Billionaire’s Vinegar’
- Tommy Gargotta Tops Theatrical Marketing At Relativity EuropaCorp Distribution
- Michael Keaton Starrer ‘The Founder’ Gets Release Date; Focus World Rounds Out 2015 Slate
- Warner Bros Wins Visionary Viral Short ‘Sundays’ Auction; You Gotta See What $51,000 Can Look Like Onscreen
- Oscars: Craig Zadan & Neil Meron Not Returning In 2016; Academy Starts New Producer Search