Summit Entertainment announced today that it will premiere Alex Cross wide on October 26, 2012, joining Dimension’s Halloween 3D and Fox’s surfing pic Of Men And Mavericks on that date. The adaptation of the James Patterson novel stars Tyler Perry as the detective/psychologist protagonist who meets his match in a serial killer (Matthew Fox) who viciously murders Cross’ wife when Cross thwarts his earlier attempt to commit a murder. The drama becomes a mano a mano battle between cop and the killer who is one of the most memorable villains in Patterson’s novels. Perry’s casting has created quite a stir among the books’ fans, some of whom question whether he has the dramatic chops to pull off a dramatic role like Cross — especially based on his prior work on the comedy side in his Madea movies. Plus, he has to fill the shoes of Morgan Freeman, who played Cross in two previous Patterson adaptations. Rob Cohen directed Alex Cross, and Edward Burns, Rachel Nichols and Jean Reno co-star. Summit nabbed distribution rights to the franchise reboot last year, beating out among other bidders Lionsgate, which has a longstanding relationship with Perry and bought Summit last month.
Summit Sets Release Date For 'Alex Cross'
What's Hot on Deadline
Bart & Fleming: What Leo Plays In Tarantino Film; Why Gender Argument On Wahlberg/Williams Was Wrong
Latest Film News
- Publicist Awards Nominations: Deadline’s Mike Fleming Jr Back In The Race
- Andrea Riseborough On “Insane” 4-Movie Sundance Trip And Her Move To Producing To Elevate Female Voices…
- See-Saw Films Signs Three-Year, First Look Deal With New Regency
- Netflix Cooks Up ‘Ugly Delicious’ Docuseries From Chef David Chang & Oscar Winner Morgan Neville
- Breaking Glass Pictures Acquires Yan England’s ‘1:54’ For U.S. Theatrical Release
- Lionsgate Stock Pops After Report Of Active Merger Talks