Summit Entertainment announced today that it will premiere Alex Cross wide on October 26, 2012, joining Dimension’s Halloween 3D and Fox’s surfing pic Of Men And Mavericks on that date. The adaptation of the James Patterson novel stars Tyler Perry as the detective/psychologist protagonist who meets his match in a serial killer (Matthew Fox) who viciously murders Cross’ wife when Cross thwarts his earlier attempt to commit a murder. The drama becomes a mano a mano battle between cop and the killer who is one of the most memorable villains in Patterson’s novels. Perry’s casting has created quite a stir among the books’ fans, some of whom question whether he has the dramatic chops to pull off a dramatic role like Cross — especially based on his prior work on the comedy side in his Madea movies. Plus, he has to fill the shoes of Morgan Freeman, who played Cross in two previous Patterson adaptations. Rob Cohen directed Alex Cross, and Edward Burns, Rachel Nichols and Jean Reno co-star. Summit nabbed distribution rights to the franchise reboot last year, beating out among other bidders Lionsgate, which has a longstanding relationship with Perry and bought Summit last month.
Summit Sets Release Date For 'Alex Cross'
What's Hot on Deadline
'Den Of Thieves' & '12 Strong' Draw Close To $1M On Thursday Night, But 'Jumanji' Will Win The Weekend
MoviePass Launches MoviePass Ventures: Subsidiary Will Co-Acquire Films With Distributors - Sundance
Latest Film News
- Madeleine Sackler, Smokehouse’s George Clooney & Grant Heslov Wrap First Narrative Film Shot Completely In Maximum…
- Viacom Reveals It Paid Bob Bakish $20.3M In 2017; Ken Lerer Exiting Its Board
- Blumhouse Filming Veena Sud’s Family Drama Feature ‘Between The Earth And Sky’ – Sundance
- ‘Paddington 2’ Sets Rotten Tomatoes Record As Best-Reviewed Movie Ever
- BRON Studios, Media Res Set Overall Deal With ‘Assassination Nation’s Kevin Turen – Sundance
- ‘The Oslo Diaries’ Sundance Clip: How To Make A Secret Accord