Summit Entertainment announced today that it will premiere Alex Cross wide on October 26, 2012, joining Dimension’s Halloween 3D and Fox’s surfing pic Of Men And Mavericks on that date. The adaptation of the James Patterson novel stars Tyler Perry as the detective/psychologist protagonist who meets his match in a serial killer (Matthew Fox) who viciously murders Cross’ wife when Cross thwarts his earlier attempt to commit a murder. The drama becomes a mano a mano battle between cop and the killer who is one of the most memorable villains in Patterson’s novels. Perry’s casting has created quite a stir among the books’ fans, some of whom question whether he has the dramatic chops to pull off a dramatic role like Cross — especially based on his prior work on the comedy side in his Madea movies. Plus, he has to fill the shoes of Morgan Freeman, who played Cross in two previous Patterson adaptations. Rob Cohen directed Alex Cross, and Edward Burns, Rachel Nichols and Jean Reno co-star. Summit nabbed distribution rights to the franchise reboot last year, beating out among other bidders Lionsgate, which has a longstanding relationship with Perry and bought Summit last month.
Summit Sets Release Date For 'Alex Cross'
What's Hot on Deadline
Women's March: "Day 1!" Says America Ferrera; Scarlett Johansson Pleads For Planned Parenthood - UPDATE
Latest Film News
- Ewan McGregor Replacing Charlie Hunnam In Drake Doremus-Directed ‘Zoe’
- Kristen Stewart On Her “Masochistic” Directorial Debut ‘Come Swim’: “It’s Not A Small Movie”…
- Deadline Studio at Sundance 2017 – Day 1 – Kristen Stewart, Ted Sarandos, Jason Ritter, Carlos Santana & More
- Cyberattack Shuts Down Sundance Box Office, Internet Down In Park City (Update)
- ‘Lady Macbeth’ Star Florence Pugh & Director William Oldroyd On This Year’s British Indie Triumph…
- 'Roxanne Roxanne’: Deadline's Sundance Series Panel Livestream