Now we know why Sony wanted to announce yesterday that Kazuo Hirai will replace Howard Stringer as CEO in April. U.S. shares are down about 5.4% in pre-market trading after the electronics and entertainment giant released a fiscal 3Q report filled with tales of woe — including in its filmed entertainment and music businesses. In the last three months of 2011, the company generated a net loss of $2B, down from a profit in the period last year, on revenues of $23.4B, down 17.4%. What’s more, Sony lowered its forecast for the fiscal year ending in March: It now expects to wind up with a $1.2B operating profit, which is 10.2% lower than it predicted in November. Sony’s biggest problem is the declining sales of LCD television sets in Japan, Europe, and North America. Revenues for Consumer Products and Services fell 24.4% to $12.8B in the quarter. Revenues grew for filmed entertainment, by 7.7% to $2.1B, but due to high marketing costs and the disappointing performance of Arthur Christmas the unit’s operating profit fell 84.8% to $9M. The Music operation also struggled with sales down 11.7% to $1.6B, and a 21.7% decrease in operating income to $196M. Bestselling titles included Adele’s 21 and music from the TV show Glee.
Sony Reports Year-End Loss And More Bad News Ahead
What's Hot on Deadline
'Fate Of The Furious' Drives Five Wide Releases Off The Road With $38.6M Second Weekend - Sunday AM Update
'Fate Of The Furious' Fires Up $745M Offshore, $908M WW; Tops 'Transformers' In China - International Box Office
Latest Film News
- ‘Fate Of The Furious’ Fires Up $745M Offshore, $908M WW; Tops ‘Transformers’ In China – International…
- ‘Wasted!’ Directors & EP Anthony Bourdain On The Problem Of Food Waste And Ways To Combat It…
- Dennis Rodman Runs Amok In Colin Hanks’ ‘The Amazing Adventures Of Wally And The Worm’…
- ‘Dear Basketball’ Scribe Kobe Bryant On A Career Built “Piece By Piece” And Life After Basketball…
- Docs 'Citizen Jane' & 'Jeremiah Tower' Rule Quiet Weekend – Specialty B.O.
- Deadline Studio at Tribeca 2017 – Day 3 – Andie MacDowell, Joseph Fiennes, Elisabeth Moss, Kobe Bryant, Dan Stevens…